Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2006, 09:46 PM

Default Mix It Like a Record or Secrets of the Pros??

One dvd better than the other? Both great? I just run LE and don't have top plugins.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:36 AM

Default Re: Mix It Like a Record or Secrets of the Pros??

Hi Rick,

I've personally found the following to be invaluable resources and have taught me loads in a really fun and humorous way. It's changed the way I do recording and mixing. You won't go wrong with Secrets of the Pros. Ken Walden's teaching style is just exactly what we need. No hype, no "look at me" just, hey buddy, lets just chill and work at it from your level, at your own speed.
I also recommend Multi-platinum Pro Tools too, which comes with a DVD with not only a quicktime of the whole book, but all the files to have a go at all the examples in the book. That one's a star!

Mike

Quote:
Pro Tools 7 Power! : The Comprehensive Guide By Colin MacQueen
Pro Tools 7 Overdrive! : Expert Quick Tips By Matthew Donner
Multi-platinum Pro Tools: Advanced Editing, Pocketing and Autotuning Techniques by Nathan Adam
Secrets Of The Pros : DVD Modern Recording and Mixing By Ken Walden
Secrets Of The Pros : DVD Pro Tools Volume 1 By Ken Walden
Secrets Of The Pros : DVD Advanced Pro Tools Volume 2 By Ken Walden
Secrets Of The Pros : DVD Advanced Pro Tools Volume 3 By Ken Walden

May get you onto something useful, even if its not quite what you're after, they are a mine of excellent, years-of-experience-distilled-into-a-small-but-atomic-bomb-sort-of-package!

I'm sure that other guys can recommend some excellent mixing and recording books and DVDs too.

Old 10-27-2006, 08:21 AM

Hi Mike, thanks for the honest reply. Couple more questions:

1. any of your suggestions come with actual PT sessions that will allow me to really see what's going on? I know Dye's DVD has about 40 of them.

2. SOTP's - I'm in the middle as a PT user, anything on vol 1 worthwhile or can I just go to vol 2&3?

3. Are there realy some good "secrets"? Reading some reviews of Dye's DVD, on one session he shows several recorded guitars, EQ's the heck out of them, which by themselves sound like crap but together, sound like the best electric guitars you've ever heard. Something like that to me is worth the entire purchase price.

I'm not too good with books but love running DVDs on my laptop while doing a session on the big board.

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2006, 08:24 AM

i liked the MILAR dvd thingy.. it came with sessions for multiple configurations and was very str8 to the point. and since mr Dye was doing things.. it was very str8 to the point with things and suggestions with doing things to make a great mix

System's

Mac Pro 2,1 8-Core 3.0 GHZ
9GB Ram
10TB Space
OSX 10.6.7. PT 10 HD 10.2

Late 2013 15' Retina MacBook Pro
Fully Loaded Specs (No Other Choice..lol)
OSX 10.9 Running Pro Tools 10 HD 10.2 (Stable!!)
Old 10-27-2006, 08:35 AM

I recommend Grooveboxmusic.com for getting a firm grip on what Pro Tools is, features and use. Online access is inexpensive. Multi-Platinum Pro Tools and Pro Tools 7 Session Secrets are great books for learning techniques.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:45 AM

Quote:

1. any of your suggestions come with actual PT sessions that will allow me to really see what's going on? I know Dye's DVD has about 40 of them.

- SOTP is a DVD series so naturally no PT sessions, but the Multi-Platinum ProTools has a DVD in the book cover with all the sessions on from the book so you can see what's going on. One of it's selling points is that it takes you through a real Nashville session.
Quote:

2. SOTP's - I'm in the middle as a PT user, anything on vol 1 worthwhile or can I just go to vol 2&3?

- Well, you might like to get both 1 and 2, as they each build on from the last - Ken walden makes no apologies from this and ploughs on in the 2nd DVD. The third you could give a miss if you like - its mainly about types of plugins but its not too bad. I would recommend you get both 1 and 2 - you'll get the most out of them.
Quote:

3. Are there realy some good "secrets"? Reading some reviews of Dye's DVD, on one session he shows several recorded guitars, EQ's the heck out of them, which by themselves sound like crap but together, sound like the best electric guitars you've ever heard. Something like that to me is worth the entire purchase price.

- I guess thats down to what you already know, and what you're preferred area of recording is. Mine is keys and arranging virtual instruments. Yours seems to be guitars. Take of it what you need. I found myself recording bass, two electrics and a fully mic's kit just recently and they helped enormously.
Quote:

I'm not too good with books but love running DVDs on my laptop while doing a session on the big board.

I heartily recommend the Multi-Platinum too. If you don't want to read the book, then watch the 1.5hr Quicktime on the DVD in the book cover! It goes through all the same stuff - and I had it on my laptop just like you.

All the best filling your head with loads of good things!
Old 10-27-2006, 12:37 PM

"Mixing with your Mind" is a cool book. Kinda expensive, but It's given me quite a few good ideas/techniques that work really well. Here you go

It's not a PT specific book. This guy mostly worked with analog tape. But he gives tons of advice on mic techniques, monitor placement, mixing strategies, etc.
jonlesher.com
thedrumeditor.com
Studio pre-production guide
Drum recording guide
Old 10-27-2006, 03:10 PM

I second the motion for Grooveboxmusic.com . I have used a couple of their tutorials, and found them to be well worth the money.

Van

"All the truth in the world adds up to one big lie" :: Bob Dylan
¯
Old 10-30-2006, 08:24 PM

Just got SOTP Vol 1 and two things:

1) Very soft low res video. Can't even see what the names of the plugins are unless the moderator tells me. The new DIGI Pro Tools Accelerated Videos have a much better res

2) no secrets - just basic stuff one can find in multiple resources.