Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2022, 04:16 PM

Default Installation

Hi, my friend purchased his Keyboard some time ago. Attempts to get it to work have failed - even the store he got it from could not get it going. I feel I've come close but not cigar. The initial error was to do with a dll file which I've replaced. Now it wants Flashplayer for IE. One he does not use IE, two flashplayer is dead. Will downloading the add-on for firefox do the job? How do I tell the software to look for that and not IE. I could also update both Chrome and Firefox which have HTML5 which, should, work too. Again how do I stop the software/Windows looking for IE. Win 7, 64 bit.
Old 10-16-2022, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Installation

Hmmm, most of us here are not mind readers, so how about some pertinent information?
What keyboard?
What exact version of Pro Tools?
How is the keyboard connected to the computer?
What interface?
Since its Windows, has the keyboard been set up in Pro Tools? Specifically, under Setup>Midi>Midi Studio where all midi controllers need to be configured so that Pro Tools knows where to "look for" incoming midi data.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-16-2022, 05:48 PM

Hi Dave,

I'll get that info for you and come back to you. Pretty sure its Pro12, other than that I'm not 100% certain.

Cheers
Old 10-17-2022, 03:40 PM

Hi,

sorry if I confused people. The KB is Avid Pro M-Audio.

Avid Pro Tools 12 came with it.

Cheers

Huw
Old 10-17-2022, 05:07 PM

Quote:
sorry if I confused people. The KB is Avid Pro M-Audio.
No such thing. You mean a KeyStation? KeyStudio? Oxygen Pro? Oxygen Pro 49? (i.e. has 49 keys) ... ? What exactly?

Why don't you work out exactly what it is, find info about it online and post a link to that, ideally after taking tome to check the keyboard matches photos online.

Why not have the owner post here and save wasting time like this?

All this M-Audio stuff was badly supported by Avid, and then finally Avid dumped much of this stuff to M-Audio. The first thing you should do is work out if this is now an M-Audio branded product or a past product they still provide support for and go there for any help.

And Dave asked a bunch of other questions, you should be answering answer. And to that I'll add...

What does the user expect to do with this keyboard?

Hopefully that is just to play MIDI notes into a virtual instrument in Pro Tools? Is Pro Tools 12 installed on their current computer and is working OK? i.e. they can drag and drop know good audio files into a session and play them back?

And to emphasize one of Dave's questions: Does the owner have a separate audio interface for Pro Tools to use? Or is that in the keyboard (which may or may not have an audio interface built in, probably more likely does if it was bundled with Pro Tools 12.)... in which case they may need an audio (not MIDI) driver to get the audio interface part working... or have you already done that? If there is a separate audio interface already working then just keep using that.

There likely is no driver needed to just use the keyboard as a MIDI controller, and if there is a bunch of add-on software included with it besides a basic audio driver it likely is not worth wasting time with. Lots of this old software was not great.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-17-2022 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-18-2022, 04:30 PM

Hi Daryl

the box the KB came in is Avid Pro M-Audio. Avid Pro Tools 12 is installed but... The first error it threw was a digi-midi dll problem. I've managed to fix that. Now it asked for Flashplayer for IE.

I took a photo of the side of it all it has is M-Audio.

He'd like to mix music. He's done some audio engineering courses.

I've not tried it yet on my later Win 11 laptop.

I'll hunt around and see what I can find on M-Audio.

Cheers

Huw
Old 10-18-2022, 04:32 PM

Oops, connected via a SUB 3.O port. The cable at the KB end looks the same as a printer cable.
Old 10-18-2022, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuwGro View Post
Hi Daryl

the box the KB came in is Avid Pro M-Audio. Avid Pro Tools 12 is installed but... The first error it threw was a digi-midi dll problem. I've managed to fix that. Now it asked for Flashplayer for IE.

I took a photo of the side of it all it has is M-Audio.

He'd like to mix music. He's done some audio engineering courses.

I've not tried it yet on my later Win 11 laptop.

I'll hunt around and see what I can find on M-Audio.

Cheers

Huw
We know what M-Audio is -- it's a product line of many different things that Avid struggled with financially and then either dumped or sold off, the bits they sold off are now M-Audio the company. You can look there to see if they list the product, but it may have been one that did not make it our of Avid.

Can you find this product online. Find a photo of it and share that link with us. What model number is market on its label or compliance plate/sticker?

The first error when doing what? What are your trying to install? Stop just tryin to install stuff and think what you are doing/why?

What are you hoping to do?

Again you may not need a driver for it to talk MIDI. Working out if you do is the main reason to find out exactly what you have. Stop installing software until you know you need it. Hook the keyboard up to the PC USB port, does Windows device manager see it? Look like it loaded a standard MIDI driver? Do you see a MIDI output when using a MIDI monitoring Utility? (like MIDIView https://hautetechnique.com/midi/midiview). Stop installing other stuff unless you know you need to.