Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2003, 09:08 AM

Default WinXP spontaneous reboot !!

Hey all, I have been having problems with spontaneous reboots ever since upgrading to WinXP. I have read alot on the posts about ACPI and IRQ sharing and have noticed my system is sharing IRQ 9 with just about everything. I have come to the conclusion that I don't want to switch from ACPI to standard (except as a last resort). I have completed almost all of the tweaks as listed and have noticed some better improvement. I was able to record (no incoming audio just using functionality of PT) 8 tracks for approx. 20 minutes without a reboot. I also use the system as a mixer for live rehearsals and had reboot problems all during last rehearsal. I have installed the most recent graphic card and via drivers and have defragged my drives and I am at a loss as to what to try next. I will know tonight if all my work paid off. Please, offer any suggestions you may have to help me fix this problem as a my bandmates have just about had it.
Thanks and here are my specs:

Sytem specs
-----------
ASUS A7V277 motherboard with ULTRA 133
VIA KT266 Chipset (KT8366 North Bridge with VT8233 South Bridge)
AMD XP 1900 1.6 Ghz. processor
512 MB RAM PC2100
ATI RADEON 7200 graphics card
Sounblaster LIVE!
Linksys network card
40GB maxtor (audio drive - FAT32)
10GB maxtor (system drive - NTFS)
DIGI 001

Pro Tools Hardware profile
--------------------------
- disabled network card
- disabled sb live card
- disabled all serial and parallel ports
- disabled all USB devices (printer and scanner)

IRQ's
-----
0 - system timer
1 - keyboard
3 - com2
4 - com1
6 - floppy
8 - CMOS clock
9 - Microsoft ACPI-Compliant system
9 - Creative SB Live!
9 - Digidesign Digi 001
9 - Linksys NC100 Fast Ethernet Adapter
9 - NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller
9 - NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller
9 - NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller
9 - RADEON 7200 Series
9 - VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
9 - VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
12- motherboard resources
13-numeric data processor
14-primary IDE channel
15-secondary IDE channel
Old 06-12-2003, 09:16 AM

Default Re: WinXP spontaneous reboot !!

have you downloaded the service pack 1 from microsoft? available from windows update
Old 06-12-2003, 10:15 AM

Pull The SoundBlaster Card or uninstall the drivers and see what happens. Mine went away when I did this and used the onboard sound. I Don't think just disabling in profile will do it, You might have to take out the card. Notice it is on the same IRQ.
Jeff
Old 06-12-2003, 01:01 PM

Thanks man, but I went through all the hoopla and found the drivers on some site and was able to download them and upgrade my card. I could pull the card, but I know other digiheads have been able to use them successfully. Anybody else out there able to get their system up and running (and keep it running) with the SB live card installed? If I don't get any other solutions I will pull the card, but for right now I am open to other suggestions. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-12-2003, 07:20 PM

Greetings WoodMan.

Umm, if my computer had so many devices using IRQ9 I'd be trying to put my 001 on a different IRQ. 10,11,5,7 are all free. Try moving the 001 pci card to a free slot/s.

Sometimes you need to disable every peripheral in the BIOS and begin with a clean install. That sometimes helps.

If it isn't an IRQ problem, the next thing would be to check video drivers and try some differnt RAM stick/s.

Next thing would be to try a better power supply unit.

Best regards,

Haigbabe
Old 06-12-2003, 09:46 PM

For what its worth....
I would look into a larger power supply. It does not look like you are running a TON of power, but I had the same problem on one of my systems about a month ago. Went from a 250 to a 450, and man did it help! I had an 1800+ at the time too. Might be worth the investment.

good luck

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 06-12-2003, 10:11 PM

what slots are the PCI cards in?
i can't remember the best config for that board but if you search around in allen's cheap machine thread, you should be able to find out.

also, do the following: update the boards bios (available from asus.) next, update the video card driver. it is not recommended that you use the native windows drivers for many video cards.

to find out what's causing the fatal error that results in a reboot, do this:

click start>right-click my computer>click properties.

in the system properties window, select the advanced tab. click the startup and recovery button.

in the new window that appears, deselect automatically reboot than click ok. click ok again to close the system properties window.

now, instead of a reboot, you will get a BSOD containing an error message that will help point you towards the source of the problem. it will seem cryptic but it should mention the words driver or irq.
Old 06-13-2003, 12:21 AM

Yeah, I actually installed XP with SP1 and I didn't need to remove the soundcard when it was working with WinME, why would I have to remove it now. I have heard too many problems with the wave driver and have had difficulties myself with it and gave up on it in the past. My board doesn't have onboard sound and I need the card to surf the net and compose and edit video using VEGAS- any ideas?
Old 06-13-2003, 12:43 AM

Yep The Wave Driver Causes all Kinds of Probs with my Video Program. Running Ulead MSP. All I am saying is it might be something to try and if the reboots go away maybe try a cheap generic sound card. I just noticed the reboots going away when I moved to WIN XP and Took the SB card out because I did not have the XP drivers for it.
Jeff
Old 06-13-2003, 12:48 AM

Yeah, I had this same problem, isolating the digi on it's own IRQ solved the problem. I had to move it around a few times, but it eventually landed all alone on 11 and the problem went away.

And woodman, there's no reason to get defensive about netcline's suggestion. He was suggesting you pull the card to see if that was causing the problem. It's called troubleshooting. If you pull the card and the problem goes away, then you know exactly where the problem is and you can stop asking for our guesses. If you pull it and it's still there, we know that you've tried a suggestion and still need more help. We can rule out an obvious culprit, and offer suggestions for the next most likely culprit.

A reboot can be caused by a million problems, and it may take some tries to find the exact cause. Try moving the digi to another slot though, I'm willing to bet that will do the trick.
-Olaf