How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2022, 12:34 PM

Default Problem: Seamless audio transitions

Hello Pro Tools users,
I am pulling my hair out with a strange unanswerable challenge.
I'm finalizing an album where each track flows into the next without silence or edits. I blend each track into the next, sometimes via sound collage between songs. When I play both tracks pre bounce there is no click or dip in audio, the transition is seamless. However once I've bounce the tracks into one stereo file this new bounce has a tiny dip down in audio, thereby creating a tiny click or dip in sound.
Hoping this is just a setting that I can adjust, I can't make sense of why this should be happening. I know how to use fades, but this is creating a tiny fade where there was none.

Thanks,
Frankie
Old 11-15-2022, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Problem: Seamless audio transitions

Its not clear by your description what the end goal is here. Are you trying to make a CD or is this for streaming, or some other destination. Some things to consider:
1-if you want to make CD's, what program are you using to create a DDP or for burning your own?
2-if this is for streaming, check with whatever service you plan on using as usually(my understanding) they will expect each song to be an individual file(making the flow you want maybe something impossible?).
3-maybe you are trying to do something in Pro Tools that its not designed to do? Presonus Studio One or Wavelab(even "essentials") might be a better option?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-15-2022, 02:17 PM

How are you transitioning between them..? If you're crossfading it may be the fade shape..equal gain vs equal power...equal power is usually smoother except on some low frequency heavy material.. post a pic of your timeline showing one of the transitions
Old 11-15-2022, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankhoier View Post
Hello Pro Tools users,
I am pulling my hair out with a strange unanswerable challenge.
I'm finalizing an album where each track flows into the next without silence or edits. I blend each track into the next, sometimes via sound collage between songs. When I play both tracks pre bounce there is no click or dip in audio, the transition is seamless. However once I've bounce the tracks into one stereo file this new bounce has a tiny dip down in audio, thereby creating a tiny click or dip in sound.
Hoping this is just a setting that I can adjust, I can't make sense of why this should be happening. I know how to use fades, but this is creating a tiny fade where there was none.

Thanks,
Frankie
Perhaps I can help answer the unanswerable...
This is knowledge that I gleaned from a long-ago post on this forum. All due credit to the originator, who I'm sure I could find after hours of searching, but here it is:

The clicks you're experiencing between songs is a result of making cuts between audio frames. I won't go into all the math involved here, but if you put the session in Bars/Beats and set the tempo to 4/4, quarter note = 281.2500, turn on Grid and make all cuts on the grid your clicks should disappear.

Let us know if that solves your problem. If not, I may also have misunderstood the issue.
Old 11-15-2022, 06:14 PM

Also if this is from a CD burn, make sure to burn in DAO (disk at once) mode not TAO (track at once).

If this is occurring in a media player, the media player is at fault.

MP3 compression breaks seamless playback between tracks. When you hear it and it seems to be seamless, it’s because the player overlaps playback slightly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control