Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2022, 11:39 PM

Default Duplicate an instrument track BUT USING THE SAME INSTRUMENT

Can't find the way to duplicate an instrument track BUT USING THE SAME INSTRUMENT, not creating an other instrument instance. I tried creating a new midi track and assigning it the same instrument instance but in this way I can't get the same originale channel strip effects settings
ITALY
Old 04-14-2022, 12:47 AM

Default Re: Duplicate an instrument track BUT USING THE SAME INSTRUMENT

I may not be following what you are trying to do. What virtual instrument? What are you trying to actually achieve?

Kind of guessing here: You want two similar VI instrument instances with two different MIDI inputs but you want to send those instruments though the same later plugin processing? Then you just route those instrument track outputs to a bus or through sends and apply that plugin processing downstream in an aux input track fed from that bus. Basically how you would do any other bus based effects processing in Pro Tools. Like how you would set up a reverb effect shared by multiple tracks.
Old 04-14-2022, 01:48 AM

If you send a new midi track to the same instrument, you will have the same FX processing on the channel strip of that instrument. If you duplicate the instrument track, as long as you tick the box that says to duplicate the sends and the inserts, you will have the same sound. As Darryl says, you should probably clarify what you are wanting to accomplish...
Old 04-14-2022, 04:02 AM

Actually I would get only ONE instrument instance on 2 midi tracks for trying alternative and contemporary regions which feed the same instrument
ITALY
Old 04-14-2022, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnstudio View Post
Can't find the way to duplicate an instrument track BUT USING THE SAME INSTRUMENT, not creating an other instrument instance. I tried creating a new midi track and assigning it the same instrument instance but in this way I can't get the same originale channel strip effects settings
From what you describe, you would have the same channel strip effects, because you would be playing the instrument on the same channel. You can't open effects on midi channels.
Old 04-19-2022, 06:14 AM

In Logic you can simply Duplicate the track with the same settings (the same as duplicate track in PT), or you can duplicate the track only in Edit window, letting the same instrument instance in the mixer window (using the same button with "Opt" depressed). In this case you can decide to use alternative takes for the same instrument in some passages
I'd like to do it in the same way in PT. Is there a similar function?
See the video attached

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0s8y83jllw...nFlow.mp4?dl=0
ITALY
Old 04-19-2022, 06:59 AM

Look up “Loop Recording Multiple Takes” in the MIDI section of the Pro Tools Reference Guide. That help you? In general you should be reading that guide, it comprehensively explains all Pro Tools MIDI/VIs etc can do.
Old 04-19-2022, 09:08 AM

I'm still fuzzy on the purpose, but....Maybe a better option would be to create a MIDI track, copy the midi info from the INSTRUMENT track and assign the midi track to that same instrument plugin?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-19-2022, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnstudio View Post
HUMM ? If I am understanding you correctly it's very simple --- JUST put your cursor over the Instrument track Name and right click > then choose "Duplicate" from the dropdown (4 th section down ). then in that Duplicate dropdown, make sure that "Inserts" is checked ... then if want to write new midi notes just delete the existing ones.. New instrument track same instrument and FX inserts ---Done

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...