Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2013, 12:14 PM

Default Upgraded PC causing terrible noise with Digi 002 console

Hey guys, I need you help.
I have been using digi 002 console for one year now with no problems. I had a laptop PC with i7 processor, SDD, a second HDD for storage using pro tools 8 LE, two powered speakers and everything worked great!. The only problem was that I was running out of CPU power quite often, the i7 was the first generation with 1.8ghz. I am still amazed how well the system was working lately (after overcoming a lot of issues, cant deny that). But because of the processor, i have upgraded my PC to a desktop, using the latest i7 4770k, one SDD and another HDD, FW card digi approved (SIIG with TI chip) and win 7 64-bits. Same speakers and the digi 002 console.
Now the problem is that right when the computer is on and everything is connected (i.e. console to the PC through FW, speakers to console), there is a terrible sound coming out of the speakers. The noise is coming from the speakers with digi 002 turned off! the only thing that stops the noise is when i disconnect the FW cable from the computer. It seems a combination of hiss and buzz but it actually changes when i move the cursor using the mouse. it is a very loud noise (it doesnt stop by turning off the screen display). BTW, everything is connected to the same cable, also i am using a plug that has an isolated ground (same as before with no ground loops).
Lastly, the noise is NOT coming out from the headphones, only from speakers..
I dont know what to do, i would really appreciate your help. Many thanks and peace!
Old 08-19-2013, 08:40 PM

Default Re: Upgraded PC causing terrible noise with Digi 002 console

Hi, i guess nobody is interest but for the records, let me tell you how i fix my issues. Two things: 1) i bought a new FW cable. That help to reduce the noise in about 20%. 2) i bought balanced cables for my powered speakers. Now, there is no noise at all whatsoever... Really amazing. It is interesting because i was not able to find a balanced cable to formally serve as 'speaker cable'. I mean no balanced cables with gauge lower than 24 was available, or at least that i could find. So the one i got is 24 gauge which is really too thin as speaker cable...
Anyway, my problem is 100% solved!!
Old 08-19-2013, 09:36 PM

Default Re: Upgraded PC causing terrible noise with Digi 002 console

Your 002 isn't putting out amplifier level signals so there's no need for speaker gauged cables. Nearly all interfaces I have seen have balanced outs. There are hundreds of threads where strange output noises are caused by non balanced cables. Glad its fixed!

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88