Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2021, 06:40 PM

Default Re: This is why I don't mix on Laptops/Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Lowest latency is when you only have AD/DA roundtrip and all your plugin processing is on DSP. Even then, the more DSP you use the latency builds up.

On native systems you are defining latency as playback buffer and whatever your host can or cannot do within that time is okay. If the buffer is exceeded, playback/recording stops with a nasty error.

So I find it stupid to reach for 32/64 sample latency as "the blazing fast DSP" sessions typically have 350 samples of latency. That is kind of the limit of noticeable latency. I can for example monitor myself with 256 sample buffer, but not with 512 buffer (at 48kHz).

Noticeable latency means you start hearing echoes. Some claim they hear comb filtering even at 64 sample buffer but I have never heard that. PT default used to be 128 and everyone was fine with it.

But I also know a guitarist who thinks his sound gets better by using a red cable instead of black. Who knows.
Well remember, that tracking and using plugins has always relied on DSP and CPU. I mean, if you were native you were dealing the latency.

I think the work around was direct monitoring which was fine unless you wanted to monitor the FX on it or if you are punching.
I haven't used direct monitoring in a while though the Apollo has it but you can use FX on the monitor.
I had it working great in PT10 but once on 2018 I haven't used it and vocalists will notice 128, even 64 when monitoring over headphones.

That was the thing about DSP, it kind of took it out of the chain. And everything was sub 2 seconds or less.
I used the Euphonix R-1 for years and it was just in and out. Same with Radar.

I think my point was, since those were just hardware machine going into a analog or digital board, it was digital tape.
Now that they are all together, with the M1, 2 3 etc, we may get to that same point where the round trip is the same as DSP.
And you can have FX on and monitor traditionally like you would with a consoles and no deal with the glitches or CPU errors.

And I feel 128 buffers when playing the guitar especially when playing fast or a really tight groove with odd time signatures.
It isn't the same recording as it is having the channel open and playing along with something.

DSP had the advantage in those cases. I'm hoping the new ARM chips eliminate the need for DSP in the world of tracking, monitoring with FX and latency.

For now, I'm gonna wait for the Mac Pro Silicon Chips that are coming.
Old 12-14-2021, 08:12 PM

My point was that somehow session with 350 latency (TDM) is blazing fast but session with 256 latency (native) is horrible, to some opinion that is. I have never had a problem with 256 buffering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-15-2021, 05:57 AM

The stability of the HDX card. This design by Digi years ago was a great concept and still is at this point in time because of hybrid. Never though I would say that.

Digi/Avid has always been expensive. From 888’s through TDM, native, HDX.

I agree with the op. To track on an HDX system is worry free. The native guys have always found a work around.

Personally my 2019 7.1 with HDX 3 now with hybrid can handle any workload. Yes expensive, but functional.

We all wish for a small portable set up with a laptop and 1ru to take around. The leaks from Apple show the new Mac Pro much smaller than the 7.1. However, it will be till 2024 till all software and OS are completely compatible. Meaning if in a working situation it has to function. It’s fun to build a new system and play around with it and hope it will work. Can’t wait for the new technology. But for now stable and workability is the key.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-15-2021, 06:00 AM

Well yes, the whole point of DSP is predictable performance.
Old 12-15-2021, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzone View Post

However, it will be till 2024 till all software and OS are completely compatible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm shooting for the end of next year....
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.