Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2006, 08:00 PM

Default PT LE 7.x on iNtel iMac running Windows XP

Anyone who remembers me in here from the past, knows me as an un-biased BOTH platform user... running HD and LE Systems on Mac's and PC's for several years now.

Definitely not looking for platform flame wars, etc... just briefly searched intel mac windows in the DUC and didn't pull up any discussions about improving the performance... if this HAS been discussed to death, please forgive me, and if you've got some links for me to browse through on this issue, I'd be much obliged.

If it hasn't been extensively discussed, then lets discuss it here, as this is about Pro-Tools in Windows, and Mac computers, are all now just as much a "PC" as they are an Apple computer.

So... I've got an intel 17" iMac loaded with Ram, that runs, as it should in OS X

Booting into windows, fully Updated, running Pro-Tools 7.1cs10 I get HW Buffer errors, and CPU Task errors quite often... with everything in the playback engine, at "All" settings, playing just 1 track.

I can play 32 tracks and it acts pretty much the same as 1 track... runs for a while, then stalls out.

Is anyone out there having any luck with good, solid performance, running PT LE 7.1cs10 for XP on a MacBook, MacBookPro, MacPro, or intel iMac, booted into windows ?

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 10-23-2006, 03:45 PM

Default Re: PT LE 7.x on iNtel iMac running Windows XP

Spoke with another lad on here with a MacPro having same issues with Pro-Tools in windows.

Any other intel Mac users, in here... running PTLE in Windows, on your intel mac ?

- MacStudio M1
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
Old 10-23-2006, 06:38 PM

David,

I had PT 7.1.2 (Mbox Pro) running like a champ on bootcamp on a Macbook. However, I then upgraded my RAM from 512K to 2 gig and (oddly) the performance became bulletproof in OSX, but performance seemed to drop in Bootcamp. I have to run at about a 512 buffer for playback in Bootcamp yet the performance has been amazing in OSX (flying around with no problems at 64 buffer). Strange.. but thought I'd mention this because it was actually the other way around when I had less RAM (IE. performance was almost unbreakable in Bootcamp with only 512 RAM yet knida weak in OSX?). You should be getting much better performance than what you are with that rig though. I wonder what's going on there?
Good luck though.

len
www.labranville.com
Old 10-23-2006, 07:23 PM

One more thing I will mention though (which some shrug off but I beleive in it) is what Rockstar said/found a few months ago regarding Microsoft/Intel dual cores with PT. If I remember right, when I opened a menu on my Macbook in PT Bootcamp wham (not George Michael Wham, but Wham!) I'd get an error. However, when I plugged in my USB 2 jump drive it runs like a million bucks. This is definately the case with my Toshibe laptop dual core Intel, but I'd also have errors on my Macbook XP without this fix (especially when I'd try and open a menu with PT running). Others have done the "hotfix" (not really sure about that) but I have found this has worked for me in some cases under XP with dual cores.
My two cents (again).

len

PS. Disclaimer: Mileage varies, and I'm not claiming (expressed or implied) that this will work for anyones particular situation.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:51 PM

Quote:
David,

I had PT 7.1.2 (Mbox Pro) running like a champ on bootcamp on a Macbook.
Thanks for all your commenting Len, just wondering if you could clarify your PTLE version ? 7.1cs10 is the latest version that I know about for Windows.

Just want to make sure, there isn't an off chance that there's a 7.1.2 ver, specific for intel Macs running windows?

Thanks

- MacStudio M1
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
Old 10-23-2006, 08:23 PM

Hi David,

Yes, it's 7.1.2 for XP and PPC based Macs.
I think this is exclusive to, and for, the recent release of Mbox Pro and that's why I'm running that. Otherwise PT 7.1.3 for OSX for Intel based Macs. These are required for the Mbox Pro (plus now the cs update that is available for Mbox Pro).

Cheers!

len