Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2005, 04:14 AM

Default how to chose playback engine before opening ses.?!

Hi,

I´m currently in the mix with a session that has 90 outputs from over 100 tracks inside PT running to a Harisson DPC. As the project is pretty wild we are constantly editing nights on 64 voice systems.

The annoying thing is that every morning on the stage I have to open the session saved on the 64 voice system during the night, switch it to 128 voices on the HD system on stage and wait for another 20 minutes till PT has re-opened with the correct PB engine running.

Qusetion: Is there a way to chose the PB engine before the session is loaded to avoid the 40 minutes wait to just open the damn session?!

Thanks,

Frank.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:16 AM

Default Re: how to chose playback engine before opening ses.?!

Hold down "N" key while launching protools

Cheers
Old 03-05-2005, 05:32 AM

thank you! I´ll try on Monday.

Frank.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:58 AM

Would having an empty template on the 128 voice system, and importing the the tracks from the 64 voice session, refeerring to the soundfiles, work?

That would be pretty quick, if nothing else works.

www.markhensley.tv
Old 03-05-2005, 09:02 AM

Yes, but I´ll lose my whole region list with the files I still might need. And importing those tracks takes almost as long as opening the session.

But I´ll try to load an empty 128 voice template first before loading the 64 voice session. maybe that works.

frank.

Quote:
Would having an empty template on the 128 voice system, and importing the the tracks from the 64 voice session, refeerring to the soundfiles, work?

That would be pretty quick, if nothing else works.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:15 AM

I don't know you're workflow. But if we need something on the mix stage, we have someone find it in anothe room, put it together on a couple of tracks, and import those tracks over the network, and add the files to the session.

Again, I don't know the situation you're dealing with right now. Sounds like someone has coem to the mix stage with picture changes after the edit.

www.markhensley.tv
Old 03-05-2005, 10:52 AM

I´m having a ton of unapproved ADR with alternatives flying in every day via ftp while we are in the main mix without the director who will come for the last few days ;-)

nightmare production.

frank.

Quote:
I don't know you're workflow. But if we need something on the mix stage, we have someone find it in anothe room, put it together on a couple of tracks, and import those tracks over the network, and add the files to the session.

Again, I don't know the situation you're dealing with right now. Sounds like someone has coem to the mix stage with picture changes after the edit.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:43 PM

What we do in a case like that is to just import the additional ADR. Not the entire session.

www.markhensley.tv
Old 03-05-2005, 10:53 PM

I know all this. The problem is that I prefer to do this not on the stage when the hours are very expensive. I do it before I go to mix because the ADR arrives in un-fitted condition anyway.But then I have the problem with the PD engine.

cheers,

Frank.

Quote:
What we do in a case like that is to just import the additional ADR. Not the entire session.
Old 03-06-2005, 05:06 AM

Hi,

I just did a test on the stage using the "N" trick. It works but as soon as I load the session that has been saved on the mix+ PT will use that engine.

I wonder why digi has dropped the dialogue box that I know from my mix+ that asks me what engine I want to use the one currently set or the one the session want´s to use.

I really thing this needs to come back!!!

Does this happen on PT 6.x too?!

Digi?

cheers,

Frank.

Quote:
Hold down "N" key while launching protools

Cheers