Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2003, 10:01 PM

Default Powered Speakers

I am/have been shopping around for a pair of powered speakers (monitors).
So far I'm thinking very seriously about getting the Event TR8-N.
They sell for about 499.
Is there anything else I should be looking at in this price range that you can recommend?

Thanks.

GtrDude.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:13 AM

Default Re: Powered Speakers

krk's???? they are good..
Old 11-03-2003, 12:49 PM

Hey!

I absolutely love my Mackie HR-624's. I bought a pair of them from Guitar Center at about the same price you mentioned for the Event TR8-N's each.
Really nice speakers for PTLE, fully warranted and each come with an on board set of eq's at the back.

Hope this helps?

Joel
www.readyacoustics.com
Old 11-03-2003, 01:21 PM

Personally, I stay away from Mackie! They are WAY too colored in the low end and every mix that I attempted with them (in other studios) had to be remixed. I use passive KRK's in one room and Event powered in another. The KRKs are the flattest (true sounding) but the Events are also pretty darn good.
Old 11-03-2003, 01:37 PM

I also use the KRK V8's... but I have to ask what type of music you record? If it's hip-hop or dance these may not be the best (although if pair them with the sub-woofer you're good to go)... for other types of music that do not have as much low end the KRK's rock.

Rob
Old 11-03-2003, 03:22 PM

beware of 6" drivers and low-end reproduction... lack of! (mackie 624, etc)

I just upgraded to a handbuilt pair of sundholms (I'm currently at risk of becoming a re-occuring listener...)

But, really enjoyed my Event 20/20p's until last week. Used to be the Event flagship before the 20/20 biamps. They're in great shape and always served me well. Until you jump up to the $800-1000 range, monitors will have a fairly similar quality ceiling (although coloration will be different).

Recently a set of 20/20P's sold on EBAY for $430, but I would part w/ mine for considerdably less even, esp if you will benefit & I don't have to list. A great set of monitors & some cash in your pocket to upgrade REASON trial, heh.

Tim
[email protected]

[email protected]
Old 11-03-2003, 06:56 PM

Quote:
...but I have to ask what type of music you record?
Rob
I'm only recording my self playing a solo Classical Guitar. It is classical music from Renaissance and Baroque to 20 century atonal music.
I have an expensive Guitar (ca 25.000) and I want to represent the sound character of it as closely as I can.
I have a pretty good sterio mic set up and am using the M-Box.
Thanks.
GtrDude.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:26 PM

It sounds like you dont need anything that goes too low. Accurate midrange is more important for you. I would say stick with a 6.5 in woofer and a non-metal dome tweeter. I would also not recommend a sub for you style of music.

I use a set of Dynaudio BM6's but they might be a bit expensive for you. I have listened back to back in the same room to a lot of speakers and I chose the BM6's over all of them. This included the larger and more expensive BM15's. The other monitors in the room included KRK V4, V6, V8, Dynaudio BM15, Alesis M1 Active, Behringer Truth.

The KRK V6 might be a good choice for you - they have a forward and detailed midrange, the bass response is not great but I dont believe that would be a problem for you.

Have you got a good pair of mic preamps for your setup? I have an Mbox and while the preamps are ok (i dont use them) they really won't do a $25000 guitar justice. If I were you I'd get a pair of John Hardy M1's.

the most important thing is to listen to as many monitors as you can and pick what works best.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:33 PM

While I have not heard the smaller (624) mackies, they employ the same passive radiator design the larger (824) do, which I persnaolly do not like. There is to my ears an obvious delay in the passive and active woofers emitted signal, which (again IMHO) creates a very undistinctive low end. I have heard from others that the smaller woofer 624's have less of an issue with this, I understand it is still an issue.

JBL has just put out some new monitors you might want to check out. We have a pair of LSR28P's that are fantastic. We got them to replace Genelec 1030A's, shcih IMHO are just too flattering.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Have you got a good pair of mic preamps for your setup? I have an Mbox and while the preamps are ok (i dont use them) they really won't do a $25000 guitar justice. If I were you I'd get a pair of John Hardy M1's.

I'm so ignorant about these things (that's what spending years in a conservatory does to you) that I didn't even know that I could hook up another mic preamp to the M-Box.
I thought the M-Box was it, nothing more, nothing less.
I will most certainly look into the John Hardy. It's a name I've never heard of.
Thanks for the advice.
GtrDude.