Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2007, 12:19 PM

Default ProTools Problem Seemed to be Fixed...

All experiencing this bug,

I think my regions bug has gone away...I THINK. Basically, I completely formatted my hard drive. I formatting my disk and then reinstalled Tiger. I ran all the updates and then installed a fresh copy of ProTools seemed to make my computer much happier. Albiet, ProTools still crashes with "Assertion Errors" after doing some punch ins but I THINK it's related to FibreJet RAID systems used by our company because I'ved noticed when I setup my session on non-Raid firewire drives I don't get those crashes. However, I think you can use separate RAID video playback drives just as long as you don't set your "record volumes" to that drive. Also, make sure that you aren't running LaCie Extreme RAID firewire drives. So, my recommendation is clean format your computer (don't do a regular reinstall of Tiger you wanted to completely wipe the system) and then run the updates and then install a fresh copy of ProTools. I installed all my plugins after that.

Nathan
Old 02-03-2007, 02:10 PM

Default Re: ProTools Problem Seemed to be Fixed...

Just a quick note. I discoverd in 7.2 that those pesky assertion errors were related to "undoing" recordings or anything that rewrites the file and then to undo it. No undoing, no assertion errors. Assuming your assertion errors were crashing the system.

So basically if we wipe the drive every couple of weeks and reinstall everything, PT will behave? Thats nice and convienuent.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:45 PM

FUN TIMES!!!
Old 02-14-2007, 03:45 PM

Default Re: Big bug in 7.2 (cs1 too)

Happening here too. Not fun!

Pro Tools HD3 7.3.1cs1
G5 Dual 2.3 4.5 gig RAM
OSX 10.4.6

Recording to 2nd Internal drive. (dedicated to audio)

Very hard to reproduce. But it happens at least once a day.

sleiweke

HDX Pro Tools 2023.6
Lynx Aurora (n) 32
2 Avid S1's
Old 02-14-2007, 09:21 PM

Quote:
FUN TIMES!!!

Hi Nathan,

I assume the bug came back?

Joe

Protools 2023.6
Old 02-21-2007, 08:54 AM

*Bump*

How's this coming along DIGI?

Joe

Protools 2023.6
Old 02-21-2007, 07:28 PM

It happened again to me a couple days ago, but got even stranger this time. When I noticed it happen, I went back to an older playlist, copied the regions that disappeared, and pasted them to the current playlist.

There was a region right next to it that was still there. I could select this region, but couldn't erase it. Tried both Delete and Cut. When I tried to tab to it, it went right past it, to the next region. I duplicated the track, and it followed to the new track with the same symptoms. Client was in the room, so I couldn't discreetly see if it played any audio or not, but other than being able to click on it to select it, it was as if it didn't exist.

C'mon digi...any word on a fix?? This is out of control....
Old 02-21-2007, 08:19 PM

i am almost positive it's related to using undo record and/or apple-fullstop to stop a recording.
It seems to randomly confuse what the track visually displays as the current regions in use and revert to an old one.

After experiencing the fault many times in the last few months I am quite used to playlisting heavily in case it happens.
(The added burden of keeping an eye on the tracks in record all the time to see if the playlist has spazzed or not this time is fun too.)
This week I just finished a 3 x 12 hour day intensive overdub session and didn't see the fault once.
The only change I made was resisting the urge to undo takes with apple-z and not hitting apple-. when a take didn't start off good.

It's as if the regoins list "forgets" what you've been doing and backdates the VISUAL playlist to a previous version.
The AUDIO side of the regions still seems to be there (ie you can hear the proper take) and ghosts of regions can even be double clicked on but not edited..
Old 02-21-2007, 08:25 PM

Hey Neveguy

I'm not so sure if those things are related...I never use command-period to cancel record, and it's very rare that I use undo record...

Also, I've had it happen during editing...dragging one region to a track below it. On the track I drag the region to, regions before it change.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:24 PM
Avid

Thanks for everyone's patience and help with this one! The fix is now available in 7.3.1cs3.