Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2007, 11:54 PM

Default Audition Path Bugaboo

I've just migrated to PTHD from Motu land. I'm using a Lynx Aurora 8 instead of a digi interface, and clocking it from a UA 2192. I want to record and monitor thru the 2192's converters. But when choosing my Audition Path (in the I/O setup page), PT is only allowing me to choose what it the manual calls the first audio interface, which in this case, it has decided is the Aurora.

Being able to audtion regions seems like a pretty essential thing, so this means I can only monitor through the aurora. Which ain't the end of the world I guess, but it's a pissoff to not be able to use the 2192. Am I missing something?

Rob
Old 06-01-2007, 01:29 AM

Default Re: Audition Path Bugaboo

Quote:
[…] PT is only allowing me to choose what it the manual calls the first audio interface…

Rob,

The reason for the above is that the UA2192 is not a ProTools-compatible interface (as understood and defined) by PT hardware and software. By that, I mean that the unit cannot be connected to any of your HD cards, and must therefore be connected to a “proper” interface via its audio interfaces (be they analog or digital).

It is indeed possible for you to record and monitor through the 2192, provided you made the necessary audio connections between it and the Aurora. After you made the connections, be sure to define the appropriate paths (Input and Output) in PT’s “I/O Setup.”

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 06-01-2007, 02:01 AM

Thanks for your reply andre.

I believe you didn't catch the jist of my problem. I AM able to record and monitor thru the 2192
The problem I'm having is that PT is not allowing me to choose the 2192 for the AUDITION monitoring path.

Rob
Old 06-01-2007, 12:32 PM

Audition Paths in PT must be assigned to the first 8 channels of the first interface connected to the system.

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 06-01-2007, 01:31 PM

yeh,that's what i was gathering.

i just think that's a surprisingly crummy limitation.
to not be able to use a second box to monitor from. (given that i don't want to give up auditioning, and i dont want to switch outputs every time i do it.)

so all the talk about hi end DAC....are all these people forgoing audition functionality?

rob