Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2000, 10:45 PM

Default digital level adjust on aes input?

Is there any way to adjust the level of the aes-ebu input to pro-tools?

I was given a DA-88 tape which I wanted to xfr into Pro-Tools using a Sony PCM-800.(aes digital outputs)

While the level on the SOny shows levels just in the yellow w/ no analog clipping at the output, when digitally patched to Pro-Tools the level is well into the red and audible ditortion is evident.

I had always thought that the digital levels on all gear was the same. Guess not.

Mark Linett
Old 01-17-2000, 12:40 AM

Default Re: digital level adjust on aes input?

Unless there's some sort of digital output gain on the PCM800 (I seriously doubt it), you are correct: Digital levels are the same via AES. Most likely you are experiencing a clocking problem. Are you taking word clock out of the PCM800 to a USD/SSD on your PT rig? If you try to clock Pro Tools to incoming AES clock during a multichannel AES transfer, you may have problems similar to what you are describing. You need to slave Pro Tools to the word clock from the PCM800 with a USD, or slave the PCM800 to Pro Tools by outputting word clock from a USD or similar device. OR - you can use an Aardsync to clock both the PCM800 and Pro Tools.

Old 01-17-2000, 01:20 AM

Mark,

Remember that the Protools audio interfaces show the output levels from Protools, so also check your routing and panning.
Old 01-17-2000, 07:03 AM

You can adjust levels by using an aux input too.
Old 01-17-2000, 08:34 AM
Avid

Mark,

All of these suggestions are excellent. I just wanted to add one thing, while clocking to the AES/EBU inputs (PT in Digital Sync), remember that PT will only see clock on inputs 1 & 2. If you have your PCM-800 connected to any other inputs, you will need to route the clock separately.

Jake
Old 01-17-2000, 09:32 AM

I thought that Pro-Tools would clock to the AES input so there was no need to use word clock if I am inputing to chls 1&2 (actually inputing to 1-6)

In my experience, lack of word clock causes popping noises not audio distortion. After the transfer, you can see from the resulting wave pattern in Pro-Tools that the level is very high, much higher than the output meters on the PCM-800 would indicate.
Old 01-18-2000, 12:19 AM

Pro Tools will "see" the clock on the AES 1-2 channel, but in my experience, the results are flaky if you are transferring anything more than just the two channels on the AES 1-2 input. You have to use the word clock output of the PCM800. If you are using word clock and a USD, DON'T set Pro Tools to "digital" in the hardware setup.

>lack of word clock causes popping noises not audio distortion.

I've seen clocking problems cause the gain mismatch and distortion you are describing.

Old 01-20-2000, 06:35 AM

Disco,
First let me personally thank you for all of your excellent input into the DUC...
Now, the question:
Your response: "If you are using word clock and a USD, DON'T set Pro Tools to "digital" in the hardware setup."
Please explain. If you're inputting to a digidesign interface digitally, doesn't the set-up need to be DIGITAL/DIGITAL?
Thanks,
Frank
Old 01-20-2000, 04:43 PM

The "digital" setting in the hardware setup dialog is badly labeled. It ought to read "AES Clock" The ONLY time you should set the sync source to digital in the hardware setup dialog is when you are getting clock via AES on channel 1-2 of your 888 (I'm not including ADAT bridges in this conversation).

With a USD, you are clocking the system internally, via the USD. So you leave the sync source set to internal, and change your clock source in the session setup window (which has the USD clock settings in it if you have a USD).

Hope this helps...