Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 09:52 PM

Default Mac’s Separate “DAW” account for Pro tools

I have Power MAC Dual G5 2,7 GHz
It’s important to note that since I’ve made some big mistakes as far as handling my apps I’m doing “ erase and install” on my boot drive ,purchasing new boot drive and starting from the scratch - Basically doing whole new setup with my music apps,sample libraries and back up.
Since I want to do everything right this time - I was gonna ask about following issue
I’ve been going through some research and in couple of places I’ve read that many people sometimes using two accounts
- one for music - DAW account and
- one main account - for all the other activities
I’ve also found out that there are two different opinions on what this set up can do for you.
First group claims that this set up allows to keep your DAW system clean and that there are also performance advantages.
Second group claims that this is clearly for organizing purposes and that won’t probably win you any performance = they also say it might be time consuming to customize your system this way.
If anybody have any experience with this two account system - please let me know.
I would really appreciate your feedeback
Milan
Old 08-09-2007, 11:54 PM

Default Re: Mac’s Separate “DAW” account for Pro tools

I keep a bone-stock secondary user account for troubleshooting purposes, but use my normal user account for everything else. I fail to see how a separate account just for PT would give you much if any performance gain. Everything that's in your normal user account is still on the system only the preferences are different.

The only way you would gain performance is if you keep a lot of stuff on your desktop since everything on the screen eats up RAM. Of course if you tend to do that you will likely do it on the PT-only account too maybe just not as much. I keep no icons on my desktop, and keep open windows to a minimum.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:27 AM

I do not have first hand experience as i am researching at the moment. Here is one guys view on it, although it is not Protools specific you may find it interesting. The Partition set-up does not seem correct to me for Protools, as you do not record to system drive although the "Huckey Method" seems ineresting.
http://a-no-ne.com/puter/tips/setup/

P.S. Post your intended overall set-up "Milan" when you have decided, i would be very interested.
Many Thanks.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:59 PM

Thanks guys a lot for your input
I totally agree with you.Probably won't go for another music account exept the troubleshooting one which might be a good thing .
By the way thanks for that link - there are some very interesting stuff.

Thanks again
Milan