Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2007, 09:02 AM

Default 002 Rack and outboard gear hook up?

Hey guys,

Got a question,

I want o hook up some external gear to the 002 Rack, and I"m not sure how to do it, or if it can be done at all,

here is the gear list

Digi 002 Rack

M-audio Octane 8ch lightpipe

Focusrite ISA 220 1ch

ART Pro channel 1ch

ART Pro MPA 2ch

Alesis Reverb

DBX compressor 2ch

Electrix MOFX

I would like to hook up the FX for use while mixing, thats the reverb compressor, and MOFX

I would like to hook up the ISA 220 for tracking and then for mixing so I can use it's EQ and Compressor, is there a way to hook this all up to the 002 Rack ? would I need a patch bay? and thats just scary to me, I don't really understand the patch bay thing. Also, just because some of the pre amps are 2 channels, doesn't really mean that I need to hook up both channels at once, Just want to maximize my gear and time. if some one could explain if and how this could be done, that would be super helpful.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Drsync
Old 01-03-2007, 10:24 AM

Default Re: 002 Rack and outboard gear hook up?

you dont need to hook up both channels for your pre amps, also they come before the 002 anyways, so all you do is run the mic to the pre amp then out the amp to the 002 or m-audio. as for compressors and reverb....i recommend using your SPDIF for your reverb, and i dont know if youre m-audio pre amp has inserts or not for dynamic effects, but if it does, then you can compress to tape, and if not, then use your sends (buss) to get out of the 002 to the compressor, then return it back to the 002, but personally, i would just compress to tape if you know you like it and it works, you dont need to have an insert to do it either by the way. hope it helps.
PRO TOOLS 7.1-cs10
MUSIC PRODUCTION TOOLKIT
DIGIMAX LT
WAVES SSL
WAVES DIAMOND
REASON 3.0
Old 01-03-2007, 12:18 PM

Default Re: 002 Rack and outboard gear hook up?

Hey thanks for the reply,

that helps a little,

I"m looking for an explination on how to.....like take the output from your reverb and put it into the input 5 on the 002, a pretty detailed way of getting the most recordable channels at once as well as being able to use my fx during the mix, without have to go behind the rack and and unplug and replug things I think I need a patch bay to do what I want, because I want o be able to use some of the gear while tracking and then use the same gear while mixing, as inserts, I'm picking up an LA-2A compressor next month, I would like to be able to use that on the master bus during mixing, I really think it looks like I'm going to need a patch bay.

HERB