Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2005, 05:27 AM

Default booting from CD results in freeze

I am working on a mirror door G4 867 DP with mix+, has 768 megs of ram. Apparently no firmware update is needed.

Right now os 9 and os 10.2 are installed on the system drive, both of them boot fine.

I have the original 10.2 installation CDs and a 10.3.2 retail package.

If I just launch the installer in os 9, an error message says it failed to boot from CD. When booting from the CDs (10.2 or 10.3), it holds at the grey screen with the grey wheel spinning. and once it made it to a blue screen with a 'preparing installation volume' after 10 minutes, but saw no change afterwards.

Can I install from os 10.2 onto a partitioned volume if I have the passcode, or do i still need to boot from the installer? Any advice in dealing with the install CDs would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 01-08-2005, 11:37 AM

Default Re: booting from CD results in freeze

Somebody on the apple forum is telling me to remove all third party cards and RAM and then boot from the CD. I am really hesitant to go that route obviously - a real mess.

any truth to that?
Old 01-09-2005, 09:55 PM

nobody has ever experienced this problem?

pfffftt
Old 01-10-2005, 01:28 AM

My thoughts are OS9 (full install ?) and OS X residing on the same partition is pretty big trouble for many functions, including booting off an OS disk, of a different version from both installed versions.

If I'm wrong about this, and your only OS9 on the same volume as OSX is "classic mode" OR you have your system drive partitioned, 1 volume with OS9, the other with OSX, then ignore all i have written above.

do the obvious, which i'm sure you've done, repair and verify permissions AND disk.
try booting from the OS X CD by holding "C" with the installed OSX volume selected as the startup volume, AS WELL, if fails, with OS 9 selected as the startup volume, lastly, Without holding "C", try selecting the CD as the Startup disk, in your system preferences dialog.

OSX can be a little funny, booting onto a CD with a lower version OS, then what you are currently running on the installed OS, after updates... i have heard of this causing conflicts before.

of course, if you've lots of drives kicking around, you can make an Image of your OS drive, erase the drive, format it, and try a "fresh install" of OSX - to tell you if it is in fact what I said above, an OS conflict.

there are several ways to trouble shoot this problem, all involve time consumption.

let us know how you're making out.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 01-12-2005, 08:46 AM

you need to upgrade to the latest os 9 system which is 9.22 first..then reinstall panther...

then boot from the CD

usually during the installation process, especially on a slower mac..
os x takes time to install.

what also has to be taken into acount is that it is running off the CD which is considerably slower than a hard drive..
just let the OS do its thing.

if all else fails..erase and reinstall everything
nothing is worse than an unstable OS

you should be able to boot off your CD with no problem.

if after that you still have the same problem..then it's a hardware problem or a bad CD

good luck