Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2024, 03:24 AM

Default 23.12.1 Marker feature req.

I'm putting this here as the feature request section in AvidLink has been broken for months (nothing happens when I click on it).

What I like to see for the new markers:

- assign color to ruler and and make markers automatically take over that color when hitting enter on that ruler track as a default. (just like default color for audio clips on a given audio track).There's too much clicking around when punching in spotting notes for different marker lanes and you constantly assign the wrong colors.

- jump back/forward to next/prev marker is only half useful as it only works when the marker window is open AND it jumps only between visible ones in the list and also takes window config and track show/hide ones into account which doesn't make sense to me at all. Can the non-TC-locations be excluded from back forward commands please? And they should move forward//back relative to the playhead and not relative top the last recalled one. Also: when I exclude the non-TC locations via filter they stop working entirely. So that's not a work-around.

-Markers that are not shown in the marker window can not currently be recalled which is REALLY annoying and a workflow breaker for window configs. So when you don't have the marker window open you don't realise why your window config recalls don't work.

-an option to enforce a visual marker line (like ruler markers) for an individual marker even when it's a track marker.
-an option to make PT scroll a given track marker into view (horizontal AND vertical)when it is recalled. At the moment you still have to scroll for miles to find the recalled track marker when it's recalled as PT only locates the playhead and your track marker is 400 tracks further down.

Thanks!

Last edited by Frank Kruse; 02-29-2024 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-30-2024, 04:50 AM
Avid

Default Re: 23.12.1 Marker feature req.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
I'm putting this here as the feature request section in AvidLink has been broken for months (nothing happens when I click on it).

What I like to see for the new markers:

- assign color to ruler and and make markers automatically take over that color when hitting enter on that ruler track as a default. (just like default color for audio clips on a given audio track).There's too much clicking around when punching in spotting notes for different marker lanes and you constantly assign the wrong colors.

- jump back/forward to next/prev marker is only half useful as it only works when the marker window is open AND it jumps only between visible ones in the list and also takes window config and track show/hide ones into account which doesn't make sense to me at all. Can the non-TC-locations be excluded from back forward commands please? Also: when I exclude the non-TC locations via filter they stop working entirely. So that's not a work-around.

-Markers that are not shown in the marker window can not currently be recalled which is REALLY annoying and a workflow breaker for window configs. So when you don't have the marker window open you don't realise why your window config recalls don't work.

-an option to enforce a visual marker line (like ruler markers) for an individual marker even when it's a track marker.
-an option to make PT scroll a given track marker into view (horizontal AND vertical)when it is recalled. At the moment you still have to scroll for miles to find the recalled track marker when it's recalled as PT only locates the playhead and your track marker is 400 tracks further down.

Thanks!
Will take note of this let the team know. Thank you, Frank!

To create a support case with Avid Support, go to https://www.avid.com/learn-and-suppo...-music-support

www.topedomingo.com
Old 01-30-2024, 05:33 AM

I just got around to updating to 2023.12.
I agree... Filtering the markers window is useful but I can't think of any good reason to block the user from addressing any marker not currently displayed in the window. It's so frustrating I have to wonder if it's a design decision or a bug/oversight.

Thank you tope_d for your continued attention.
Old 01-30-2024, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JingleDjango View Post
I just got around to updating to 2023.12.
I agree... Filtering the markers window is useful but I can't think of any good reason to block the user from addressing any marker not currently displayed in the window. It's so frustrating I have to wonder if it's a design decision or a bug/oversight.

Thank you tope_d for your continued attention.
I can totally see someone limiting forward/back shortcuts to certain markers or lanes but I can't see a scenario where someone wants to jump between markers that are not time-based. What would "back forward" mean in that context anyway? Or a scenario where some would want to disable direct recall of window configs, track show hide entirely.
I think "next previous" shortcuts should refer to the time position not the sorting order of the window in general.

Thanks for forwarding tope_d!

Last edited by Frank Kruse; 01-30-2024 at 06:04 AM.
Old 01-31-2024, 01:54 AM

Oh and export markers as text brings up the the export window with the "include plugin list" checked. I guess that's a bug.

And that should include an option to only export the filtered (currently shown) markers not just all of them as it is now.

Thanks again.

Frank.
Old 02-02-2024, 02:07 PM

Just a note to say that despite its limitations, the filtering options have proven themselves very useful already on my first audiobook edit since updating to 2023.12. It's great to be able to hone in on different markers based on substrings of the marker name. First round QC, second round QC, chapter ins and outs, room tone, etc.

I hope that the overhaul of the markers systems in PT stay on the radar for the dev team—it's much appreciated.
Old 02-08-2024, 12:46 PM

I also have another feature request. Please enable us to have the ability to export markers as text on an individual marker lane basis. For example, marker lane 1 is arrangement and marker lane 2 is audio pull requests. I'd love to just be able to export marker lane 2. Now, as before, whenever I export markers as text they all get thrown into the text doc and the doc has to be cleaned up before being sent off. If we could export Individual lanes then we wouldn't have to do this. thank you.
Old 02-10-2024, 10:04 AM

Just diving into 2023.12.1 now, coming from 2021.6. Lots of cool new marker stuff - BUT!! - +1 for being able to set a default color for each Marker lane!! It's going to be visual Crazy Town the way it's going right now (at least without having to take the unnecessary extra step of setting the color for each marker, one at a time. Ugh!)
Old 02-29-2024, 06:57 AM

I forgot to mention:

The next/previous marker shortcuts are also not overly helpful as they refer to the last recalled marker. Instead they should recall the next/prev marker relative to the playhead position. That would make the most sense to me.

The way it is now the next/prev shortcuts are not really usable for me.

Frank
Old 02-29-2024, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
I forgot to mention:

The next/previous marker shortcuts are also not overly helpful as they refer to the last recalled marker. Instead they should recall the next/prev marker relative to the playhead position. That would make the most sense to me.

The way it is now the next/prev shortcuts are not really usable for me.

Frank
Yes please!