Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2001, 09:41 PM

Default Getting that sweet sound.

Im rather new with ProTools. I know how to use it, but the tecniques I lack. I have a Mesa Dual Rec Combo, the 57 Mic and the Digi plug ins. My dist. sound always sounds muddy. Im looking for a heavy tone. Ive trying everything I know of(delay for stereo, eq(what i know)) but i havent got it yet. any advice for settings on the mesa and plugins for this sound?? Thanks [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2001, 10:25 PM

Default Re: Getting that sweet sound.

try "less = more". don't use too much distortion and it will sound better in the mix. perhaps layer two takes with different eq, or one take per speaker- but right at distortion and not way over. make sure the playing is real strong and tight also. it's easy to get sloppy with distortion as it seems to hide loose fret work. record the combo really dry- like in a closet with clothes and carpet; and raise it a couple feet above ground. then find the best speaker and experiment with close mic placement.(6 or less inches) mic placement, then amp settings, are the most solid ways to eq without compromise.
Old 11-08-2001, 02:13 AM

thanks for the advice felix. When you say different Eq's. Do you mean one with a higher gain and one w/ a lower?? whats a good mix, I only have the regular protools 4 band eq.
Old 11-08-2001, 07:09 AM

Don't want to get off topic, but the best guitar sound will not be achieved inside Pro Tools.

It's all in the 1.Amp
2.Player
3.Guitar.

If all that sounds great, then your 57 thru a Neve mic pre will sound great without any Plugins. (I rarely EQ'ed guitar when I used to work on a real Neve console)

If all that doesn't sound great, then you need to replace 1 or 2 of the three.
Old 11-08-2001, 09:44 AM

little things... You might want to close mic with the sm57 to get (in this case) a desired proximity effect, it'll make it sound "fatter" with a little more low end. But ultimately its the guitar and amp, I was never a big fan of Mesa Boogies, they just sounded too dark but not very tight to me... But that's just my personal taste... try layering it with cleaner guitar and slightly distorted and panned widely, or mix and match different amps and speaker cabs.
Old 11-08-2001, 11:01 PM

Thanks for all the advice, I just re-recorded a trk w/ my amp in the closet and paning 2 different guitars. It sounds alot better. Now I just need to work on the vocals
anyways thats it for this thread
Old 11-09-2001, 04:29 PM

OK this is the mother of all distorted guitar tips, r u ready!

(Flame proof race suit on!)

If you have this! >>Produceher said<<
1.Amp
2.Player
3.Guitar.
I'll add 4 - 6
4.Good speaker cable<<offent forgotten<<
5.proper volume for the amp and cab
6.have some taste and perspective for Christ sakes

Here we GO!

Mic the rig and put on some headphones you can trust (MDR7506) and crank um way up. DON'T PLAY THE GUITAR! Listen to the static / noise out of the speaker. Now w/ headphones on; move the ONE mic (SM57 on new Vintave 30s!)till the noise/static sounds exactly the same in the air as in the phones.
This should be a very neutral sound. NO EQ!

You will find the forward / back controls the low mids and bass. The left right up down controls the mids that make up the majority of the signal and the angle sets the upper highs.

If you match the static sound exactly you will have a very good representation of the guitar amp. Not the room cause you will end up close like on the grill. The farther you get from the cone the more complex things get and requires more skill in micing, mic choice and mixing. The hard rock / metal tone should be cake with this info.

Now for God sakes take some painters tape to grill and make a marker like an upside down L so it takes 2 minutes to mic that cab next time.

Re Adjust your head phone levels! And tune the guitar again. Check the intonation. Then tune it again.

As a side note I can mic a Vintage 30's cab and a Fender VibroChamp in seconds cause I know were the spots is. Every speaker type will be different in its sweet spot. But the technique will never change.

Also you will find with super distorted guitars big becomes little and little becomes huge. A tube mic in front of a Fender (vibro)Champ and a Telecaster is the most gigantic clean ever. And that huge scooped recto sound is a midget compared to a Big MUFF thru a Blackface Deluxe.

I rarely use any EQ and if I do its to cut out some bottom from the mic bseing so close
AKA the bass player is pissy cause your tone is eating up all of his headroom. EQ is a replacemant for the time you dont or didn't
have to spend micing correctly.

Re listen to your favorite tone what is really going on there.

Mileage may vary, keep arms and legs inside at all times, if seal is broken, put your seat in the up right position, I told you so, ~DOH!

Tad << Think No More Tears is a the metal tone to aspire too << And how come Hendrix sounds better live? <<
Old 11-12-2001, 01:15 PM

No More Tears was great, but IMHO the sound on Metallica's black album is the one to go for. (even if you DO hate all the songs by now) [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-12-2001, 02:51 PM

I am always supprized at how little gain that Black album has not that sandy buzzy over distorted Death Metal tone at all. More like Fuu Fighters up a notch.

TAD << Bob Rock does it for me <<
Old 11-12-2001, 03:31 PM

I also think James in Metallica records buttloads of tracks of just guitar. I read somewhere.. upwards of 15 tracks.

I just use a pod pro direct, and tweak the settings.. and it'll rip your face off [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Dave