Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2002, 01:35 AM

Default latency problem caused by waves pluggins?

Ok guys I know that the latency deal has been beat to death but upon doing a search all that I could come up with dealt with the latency problem with monitoring and recording at the same time. My problem is different and I'm not sure what to do to fix it. I haven't really messed with this before.

Ok so here is what I am doing. I have 2 stereo tracks and they both have the exact same .wav on it. The problem is that if you add a wave pluggin to one of the sterio tracks and not the other, there is a very large and noticable latency that accures. I have my buffer setting to 128, but when I tried to nudge my .wav file that had the effects on them by 128 samples, it didn't work. I found that the only reliable way to fix the problem is that I have to put the same number of pluggins on both the tracks and just make the pluggins on one inactive. Is there a better way to fix this problem. I am running out of cpu power trying to run all of these waves mastering pluggins and I would like to not have to change the wave files by using audiosuite pluggins. If any of you know a better way of delaying the track without all the effects I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
Old 12-29-2002, 03:22 AM

Default Re: latency problem caused by waves pluggins?

what you could try is nudging one of the tracks by the amount of samples that the other track is delayed. To find out the delay, CTRL-click in the grey rectangle above the fader that usually showes the fader-setting in db's. It cycles through fader-setting/peak-level/plugin delay

remember that number, set your nudge value to that amount, and nudge the track to the left.

or calculate the amount of delay to miliseconds, and put a short delay 100% wet on the other channel...

i think you have to calculate like this:

lets assume this:

-sample delay is 50
-samplerate of the session is 48 Khz

the length of one sample is 2.0833 ms

so the delay should be 50 * 2.0833 = 104.165

The problem is that you cant dial in such a delay, so you may end up having phasing problems...

It would be a nice idea if digidesign introduces a new simple plugin that will allow you to dial in a delay measured in samples instead of miliseconds...

(somehow i made a calculation error, but the delay shouldnt be 104 milliseconds, but 10.04 milliseconds)

I did a testrun. I took a monotrack, placed an L1 on it, and checked the delay (64 samples). Then on the other channel i placed a short delay and set it to 10.30 milliseconds (If you hold the CTRL-key down while dragging the slider you can dial in more accurate...). I also flipped the phase. The result was silence, so that proves to me it all works...

Bastiaan
Old 12-29-2002, 01:08 PM

Thank You Bastian so much. Man I really do learn something new everyday. Wow I have no Idea where I would be with out you guys. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2002, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Calvin:
The problem is that if you add a wave pluggin to one of the sterio tracks and not the other, there is a very large and noticable latency that accures.[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">What kind of plug-in are you trying to add? I assume it's not a "delay" plug-in, otherwise this would be the funniest post of the day. Is the effect something like "re-verb" or something that can be added to an aux. send/return track? This would keep the orginal .wav in time with its counterpart.

Good luck,

-Jay
Old 12-29-2002, 02:33 PM

alas no, I was adding in the waves mastering bundle. I was trying out a few tricks that I had read about and trying to apply it to my mastering. I was very amazed at the difference. Woo. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]