How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2011, 10:05 AM

Default PT 9.0.5 - so unstable

Guys,

I've been getting so many errors over the last few weeks with Lion 10.7.1 and PT9.0.5. I get the "buffer engine" error, the underflow error, and of course the awful play/pause thing. My workflow is so interrupted that it ends up taking hours to do small things.

Am the only one? I really hope not. I have a kickass i7 MacBook pro with 8GB ram. it's very powerful, but as soon as I open up two stereo tracks both with an instrument plug-in like Xpand or Boom, my computer can't handle it and I get all the PT errors.

Now Avid wants us all to play $300 to upgrade to PT 10 when they haven't even made PT 9 stable with Lion. I've only had PT9 for 3 months.

MAC OS Ventura
Pro Tools 2024.3
2020 iMac 27" 3.2 Ghz i5, 64GB Ram
UA Apollo Rackmount Thunderbolt + Dangerous D-Box
2x Glyph Studio 2TB Raid SSD
Old 10-23-2011, 02:54 PM

Default Re: PT 9.0.5 - so unstable

9.0.5 is a hoax. If possible, roll-back to 9.0.2 or 0.3
Do a search here, plenty of people had had drama with that release and it doesn't seem to matter whether it's OSX or W7 platforms. Bottom line, stay away from it.

Avid has no business putting out such unstable releases and it's hard to reconcile why exactly they'd do this. I could understand if the bugs were limited to Windows users alone but it seems to be cross platform so that suggests incompetence more than anything else.

Engineered to fail so you'll jump at the next "paid upgrade?" That thought has crossed my mind :)
Old 10-23-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anackman View Post
Guys,

I've been getting so many errors over the last few weeks with Lion 10.7.1 and PT9.0.5. I get the "buffer engine" error, the underflow error, and of course the awful play/pause thing. My workflow is so interrupted that it ends up taking hours to do small things.

Am the only one? I really hope not. I have a kickass i7 MacBook pro with 8GB ram. it's very powerful, but as soon as I open up two stereo tracks both with an instrument plug-in like Xpand or Boom, my computer can't handle it and I get all the PT errors.

Now Avid wants us all to play $300 to upgrade to PT 10 when they haven't even made PT 9 stable with Lion. I've only had PT9 for 3 months.
Hi,

Have you got your processors for rtas playback set to an odd amount?

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Hi,

Have you got your processors for rtas playback set to an odd amount?
I've got them set at max -1 (so 3 processors out of 4 in the buffer h/w engine dialog). Is there another setting you're referring to?

I get the underflow error and the j/w buffer engine error all the time, even when very few plug-ins are being used. I do sometimes use multiple instrument/midi channels with Xpand, Boom, etc on them, but I would think my i7 and 8GB ram could handle this.

MAC OS Ventura
Pro Tools 2024.3
2020 iMac 27" 3.2 Ghz i5, 64GB Ram
UA Apollo Rackmount Thunderbolt + Dangerous D-Box
2x Glyph Studio 2TB Raid SSD
Old 10-24-2011, 01:09 PM

I have lion 10.7.1 with 9.0.5 and use approx 10 instrument plug ins plus effects and so far the only problem I get is the play pause thing so I change buffer size and it fixes it for 20 minutes. Also yesterday had a step input issue. When inputting 1 bar step it was making 1.5 bars so had to trash new session and start new one. Apart form that seems ok but not using any interface etc yet so we'll have to see if more issues occur when I do.