Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2008, 10:54 AM

Default AAF unstable?

I have been working with AAF's for a while now and they seem a lot more unstable than the OMF's I am use to. Are there any assistants out there that are having troubles with AAF turnovers from picture?
Old 08-26-2008, 11:31 AM

Default Re: AAF unstable?

I´ve used referenced AAFs with MXF audio for the last 8 months without one single AAF that didn´t open. And we did receive A LOT or AAFs.

Same is true for the reverse workflow from PT to AVID.

Note that unlike with OMF PT doesn´t read pan-info from AAFs.

Frank.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:01 PM

Default Re: AAF unstable?

If youre using AAFs, chances are you're in an Avid workflow. Problem is, there are some "Send to Pro Tools" commands that have the wrong settings in the Avid file menu. To get the right sort of AAF, your video editor really needs to understand the options in the export menu, options like "copy and relink" to a shared volume or trackpack being preferred to simply "linking", and making sure to "render all effects", but not to transcode video to QT if you have a mojo attached to your PT rig. Those sorts of things often get selected incorrectly, leaving you with potentially an AAF that PT wont like.

If you are reguarly getting material from one avid suite, its definately worth going over there and checking the export options they are using and saving it as a "Send to jackisdead" preset, to remove potential user errors from freelancers and the like. Makes the workflow less stressful for the video op too.

You may already be doing this, if so, apologies, but in my experience alot of avid video ops dont even know there is an option except "Export", theyve never used the "Send to" commands or even looked at them, but theyve been there for over 2 years now.

Hope that helps.