How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2011, 01:31 AM

Default Switching from Command 8

Using a Command 8 today.
Thinking of switching to the Artist Series.

1. If I go with the Artist Series, will I have to get a separate monitor section for Control Room level and Headphones etc?

2. If I buy a used unit, and it cracks, does AVID replace it?

3. Are there 2 versions of the MC Control pre black/AVID?

4. How do the different versions differ? Build quality, touch screen, display?

5. There was another thread comparing C8 to the Artist Series, in C8s favour. Are the issues with Focus on the MC Mix solved?

6. Other considerations?

Thanks,
Hakan

PT Ultimate 2022.10.0 | HD OMNI | S3 | PT Dock | EuControl 2022.4.0.78 | PT Control 2022.4.0.60
macOS Big Sur 11.6.5 | Mac Pro (2019), 3,2 GHz 16-Core Intel Xeon W, 384 GB 2933 MHz DDR4
Old 11-18-2011, 03:46 AM

Default Re: Switching from Command 8

Well I moved from a C24 to a MC Control and Mix which works much better in my downsized project setup.

1. If I go with the Artist Series, will I have to get a separate monitor section for Control Room level and Headphones etc?

MC Control ships with a software monitoring solution - haven't set it up yet.

2. If I buy a used unit, and it cracks, does AVID replace it?
Don't know - Avid answer.

3. Are there 2 versions of the MC Control pre black/AVID?
Yes, V1 & V2 - I have V2

4. How do the different versions differ? Build quality, touch screen, display?
V2 has a brighter screen and I believe that the firmware is different. I would strongly suggest going straight to the V2 as that will be future proofed.

5. There was another thread comparing C8 to the Artist Series, in C8s favour. Are the issues with Focus on the MC Mix solved?
Don't know what the issues were....

6. Other considerations?

Both the Mix and control are extremely stable. I use them for controlling a number of applications and apart from the pain of creating the commands for non Eucon apps, they work very well.

The latest 2.6.2 software is a must have for Protools.

Hope that helps
Old 11-18-2011, 05:45 AM

Thanks a lot!

So, there are 3 versions - V1 & V2 Euphonix/Silver and the latest AVID one?

Also, I'm trying to decide which combination would suite me the best.
As I understand, the Transport has some functions (custom macros) the other ones doesn't have.
And maybe with the Transport, the Control would be redundant.
If I get the same functionality from the Mix as with the Control, I could go with 2xMix and 1 Transport for more faders as well.

Thoughts?

PT Ultimate 2022.10.0 | HD OMNI | S3 | PT Dock | EuControl 2022.4.0.78 | PT Control 2022.4.0.60
macOS Big Sur 11.6.5 | Mac Pro (2019), 3,2 GHz 16-Core Intel Xeon W, 384 GB 2933 MHz DDR4
Old 11-18-2011, 06:43 AM

Transport and control are not exactly redundant.

Mix = traditional fader and knob control. Fader flip, etc
Control = total control center for everything, customizable, front and center

You do not get the same control over the software with just the mix. The mix is like a futuristic mackie control but you can't assign any custom functions to it. The control can access ANYTHING that you software has to offer and puts it at your finger tips. In addition, you can tell it to control the mix, or have it work separately., For example, the mix can bank around the session, but the control would always be locked to your stem busses or something like that.

When you get heavy into programming it, and you will.. you'll be glad you have 2 extra layers of soft keys on the transport. The 2 rows of keys on the control are bank able and infinite, but there are some functions you might always want access to no matter how deep you have gone down another road. For me that is automation. I have programmed a softkey on my transport that will 1. open my automation window 2. pull up my automation screen on my control. 3. pull up my automation control rows of softkeys on the control. This is all one button. I have other buttons on the transport that do other combos that I need often. Because the transport does not bank, it's really useful. You also have a num pad directly on the surface that you can use to type in TC or marker locations etc. The jog wheel on the transport is weighted and overall just and upgrade from the the control. The playback transport controls work as advertised but after years of spacebar-ing I'm still not used to it. I reassigned those to other things.

All these units are sold separately but I feel like all of them combined is the real deal. I have a silver V2 control, transport and Black mix. I've had zero issues with them since the latest firmware and software upgrade. I'm definitely buying another mix to go with my set up. Over all, having all the units let my ideas come out of the speakers faster. I have used Command 8, Mackie MCU and D-Control, I prefer these over all of them and I imagine that only the system 5mc could top it.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:55 AM

Thanks Jesse!

So I should avoid the silver v1, and go for the silver v2 or the black ones?
Have do I tell the difference between v1 and v2?
Are the black the same as silver v2 except for the cosmetics?

Old 11-18-2011, 08:06 AM

I have the silver v1 (which luckily matches my other equipment) and they work REALLY well! V1 has a silver shuttle wheel on the McControl. V2 has a black wheel, has a better LCD display, and the knobs feel slightly different to turn.

I ditched my 003 rack for a Presonus Firestudio 2626 and got the additional MSR (monitor station remote). It's working out SO well for me at my home studio. With PT10 and CPTK2 I can seamlessly edit and mix sessions for work and then bring it to a mix stage :)

P.S. I ditched my Command|8 for an McControl and an McMix (both v1).

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 11-18-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Young View Post
I have the silver v1 (which luckily matches my other equipment) and they work REALLY well! V1 has a silver shuttle wheel on the McControl. V2 has a black wheel, has a better LCD display, and the knobs feel slightly different to turn.
Good to hear. I talked to a guy who really hated the display and knobs on v1, though.

Quote:
I ditched my 003 rack for a Presonus Firestudio 2626 and got the additional MSR (monitor station remote). It's working out SO well for me at my home studio. With PT10 and CPTK2 I can seamlessly edit and mix sessions for work and then bring it to a mix stage :)
I'm probably getting an OMNI interface, but I wonder if the software monitor control on the MC Control works with Pro Tools.

Quote:
P.S. I ditched my Command|8 for an McControl and an McMix (both v1).
What about custom maps for plugin parameters in PT? (Works with the Command 8.)

Old 11-18-2011, 12:58 PM

no custom plug parameters on the Avid's but for 300 bucks, the Novation Zero with automap is totally awesome
Old 11-18-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse p View Post
no custom plug parameters on the Avid's but for 300 bucks, the Novation Zero with automap is totally awesome
Really, oh, well... maybe i should stick with my trusty old C8.