Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2003, 10:39 AM

Default preamp suggestions please...

I'm trying to send an acoustic guitar/electric bass signal directly into my MBox/ProTools 5.2 setup. I cannot get a signal, so I'm assuming I need a preamp to boost the signal. Can anyone offer suggestions as to which preamps are recommended and does a tube preamp offer any real benefit over a tubless one? Tbanks.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:26 AM

Default Re: preamp suggestions please...

You should be able to plug a normal guitar or bass into the Mbox. If your acoustic guitar has a builtin preamp (which is most common these days), it should also work no problem. Make sure you have the 'source' switch set correctly.

You still might want a better DI and/or preamp, but it shouldn't be mandatory.

Quote:
I'm trying to send an acoustic guitar/electric bass signal directly into my MBox/ProTools 5.2 setup. I cannot get a signal, so I'm assuming I need a preamp to boost the signal. Can anyone offer suggestions as to which preamps are recommended and does a tube preamp offer any real benefit over a tubless one? Tbanks.

Old 10-02-2003, 11:26 AM

the M-box has two rather nice preamps built in, and can also accept insturment or line level singals with no additional equipment required. Please read the online PDF manuals, you'll find all this information within.
Old 10-03-2003, 02:18 AM

never record acoustic guitar using guitar's internal mic. you'll get better sound using external mic. guaranteed.
Old 10-03-2003, 06:22 AM

OK, thanks for the tip folks. It's back to the drawing board for me. I'll check the PDF instruction book again.
Old 10-07-2003, 12:49 PM

Default preamp suggestions UPDATE!

I read the pdf manual and did everything I knew to do and still nothing. So I took the MBox into the retail outlet where I got it and asked them to look at it. Channel One's 1/4" input set at instrument level is broke. No signal registers. Channel two apparently works. However, I haven't been able to get a signal on that at home so I'm doing something wrong there too.

My warranty on the MBox ran out a week ago! The guys at the retail outlet are checking to see if their Digidesign sales rep will cut me a break on repairs. I bought the MBox late September last year and just missed the free ProTools upgrade too. I'll be completely unimpressed if I have to foot the bill on repairs too.
Old 10-07-2003, 04:14 PM

Quote:
never record acoustic guitar using guitar's internal mic. you'll get better sound using external mic. guaranteed.
Never's pretty bold. On the topic of technique, I'll often record with a mic (always for a warmer sound) as well as a D.I. from the guitars preamp. I'll then blend the two for a nice mix. So depending on the sound your going for, don't feel like you need to exclude anything... This is just my opinion of course...
|Recent PC to Mac convert|
Old 10-07-2003, 04:17 PM

It also depends on the quality of the microphone(s), and where you put them...I've heard some recordings done with the internal microphone that sound amazing, and some done with external microphones that sound horrible.

-Duardo
Old 10-07-2003, 04:26 PM

Quote:
It also depends on the quality of the microphone(s), and where you put them...I've heard some recordings done with the internal microphone that sound amazing, and some done with external microphones that sound horrible.

-Duardo
Oh man, for sure... There are so many variables....and that's my point, to not discount any of them.
|Recent PC to Mac convert|