Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2009, 06:01 PM

Default Musical typing & using virtual instruments

Just upgraded to PR 8, and am loving all the virtual instruments and things like Xpand as well...however, I do not have a midi controller just yet, and was curious if there is like a 'musical typing' function, like using the Garageband musical typing thing, so, I can play instruments w/ regular typing keyboard until I get midi controller?
- also, another sort of related question..if I'm wanting to use a virtual instrument plugin, such as the 'grand piano' lets say, what sort of 'track' should that be put on, an 'instrument' track I assume? and if so, are you supposed to be able to record the same way as another track, like, enabling the record on the track, hitting record, and then playing whatever piano notes you like? Because I tried that, just scrolling across the notes w/ my mouse, and when I go to play back after recording, it doesn't really record anything. so, I must not be doing this right.
- ok, thanks for any help and putting up w/ my dumb questions!.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:25 PM

Default Re: Musical typing & using virtual instruments

Go to google and type in;

virtual MIDI keyboard os x

There are a few options but I haven't tested them myself..

Here is a feature rich one that will cost you $30:

http://www.tanageraudioworks.com/Products/Chirp/

Grand Piano is a Virtual Instrument Plugin (VI), and yes you can use then on Instrument tracks.

An instrument track is really only a combination of a MIDI track and an Aux input... the MIDI track functions include receiving the MIDI, recording it and routing it to an instrument (VI or HW synth). The Aux part is what handles the audio created by the VI. It is the equivalent of a channel on a mixer in many ways.

Instrument tracks (auxes) do not record audio. They only allow you to monitor it and to route it to different destinations. If you want to record the audio produced by a VI, you need to bus the output of the Inst track (Aux) to the input of an audio track.

I don't think you can play the piano notes on the Plugin window and have those record.. I'm not sure but I think they are only there to preview the sounds and do not send out any MIDI which can be recorded.. They are entirely "inside" the plug-in, if you follow me... You can draw in notes with the pencil tool, or get one of the Virtual MIDI keyboards you asked about or get a controller. Your enjoyment at making music will be immensely greater if you get a real controller... Don't hesitate