Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2009, 07:33 PM

Default Has Anybody Tried Antares Harmony EFX Plugin?

Antares is running an intro offer of Harmony EFX through the end of November for $49. Has anybody tried running it on their HD system? What is your opinion of it?

Thanks,
BF
2 GHz G5 Dual Core Mac with 2GB RAM OS 10.4.8 Pro Tools 7.3.1cs8 Separate internal audio drive 23" Mac monitor Pro Tools HD 3 Accel (PCI 1 Core Card, 2 Accel Cards) MassivePack Pro 4 Digidesign PRE (2) 192 I/Os w/192AD Expansion cards Magma PE6R4 6 Slot PCIe to PCI-X Expansion Chassis
Old 11-24-2009, 08:23 PM

Default Re: Has Anybody Tried Antares Harmony EFX Plugin?

Downloaded. Installed, setup a quick trial file and this is the result in 5 mins ... I'm sure it could be made great but seriously I would rather just get some session folk to do it real. Might be fine for some FX vocal. Perhaps its gonna be a nice effect in some applications ...

http://www.experientiastudio.com/Har...uickieHOLY.mp3

disclaimer ... unedited ... unmixed ... one pass MIDI control .. Just like a vocoder

Ainslie
Old 11-24-2009, 08:37 PM

Ainslie, your build will be interesting.

Nice creds too BTW

--------------------------------------------------

Why do people keep running over a string a dozen times with their vacuum cleaner, then reach down, pick it up, examine it, then put it down to give the vacuum one more chance?
Old 11-25-2009, 07:43 AM

I bought the EVO version on day one, as I use it a lot on my electro-prog-tech side projects. I like the way it controls and the possibilities it opens up, but I very seldom use it for its intended use. It can be a very useful plug for mangling and making sci-fi effects. I wouldn't be inclined to use it to simulate real human beings signing, unless it'll be pretty far back in the mix, drenched in reverb. Then again, replicating some of the plug's possibilities with human beings could be very costly, so I guess this could do in a pinch.

I used the EFX version on someone else's setup and, for most uses, the provided controls on that version would be enough. You forfeit the vibrato and delay controls and the choir mixer, but the most important controls are intact. At that price point, ROI isn't hard to achieve, even if you use just a handful of times. I haven't used it in PT, so I can't comment on that.

And if you want a T-Pain / Cher / Gay Fish sound, you most definitely want this. I personally don't understand why one would want that, but that's a whole other story.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:22 AM

Thanks for insights. My first thoughts were line with Ainsley's, if I want true to form bgv's, software's not gonna cut it. Thanks for the sample Ainsley! I'm hard pressed to think of how I could use it for my music... drekrom, I'm going to copy & email your message to a friend of mine who composes a lot of electronica. He might want to look into the EVO version...

Thanks again,
bf
2 GHz G5 Dual Core Mac with 2GB RAM OS 10.4.8 Pro Tools 7.3.1cs8 Separate internal audio drive 23" Mac monitor Pro Tools HD 3 Accel (PCI 1 Core Card, 2 Accel Cards) MassivePack Pro 4 Digidesign PRE (2) 192 I/Os w/192AD Expansion cards Magma PE6R4 6 Slot PCIe to PCI-X Expansion Chassis