Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2001, 08:23 PM

Default Cedar DNS1000 vs DINR

I know this is another that silly "Which is better?" or "How does both compare?" kind of questions.

But I really need any opinion who have compared both? How does DNS difference then DINR? What can be done in DNS that DINR lacks?

Thanks.

Mac Studio Max M2 (2023), 32GB RAM, Ventura 13.6.4, PT Ultimate 2023.12.1, Sonnet TB2 III-D, Avid HDX 2, Sync X, MTRX Studio, Trinnov D-Mon, JBL 708P, 705P & JBL 3635 (Atmos HE 7.1.4)
Old 04-02-2001, 10:39 PM

Default Re: Cedar DNS1000 vs DINR

If you buy DINR instead of DNS you can buy a small summerhome with the savings.
SK
Old 04-03-2001, 07:14 AM

Yes, but if you buy the DNS you can bill enough to buy two summerhomes! The CEDAR gear is definitely more expensive. I used to try and use DINR, I gave up on it. Geez, the hum removal doesn't even work on a Mix System. Inexcusable IMHO. Digi's own plug-in not even working on their own system... I own the CEDAR X-series and will never look back on the imitators. I also have owned Steinberg's DeClicker. It generally added more clicks than it removed and RayGun was pretty useless for me.

Your mileage may vary...

Kevin
Old 04-03-2001, 09:10 AM

I don't think at it's price, DNS $4,900 - DINR $800 = $4,100 will leave me enough margin to buy me a summer home?

I think it's really a considerable investment. About the price of latest Eventide processor. So, anybody have further experience.

Mac Studio Max M2 (2023), 32GB RAM, Ventura 13.6.4, PT Ultimate 2023.12.1, Sonnet TB2 III-D, Avid HDX 2, Sync X, MTRX Studio, Trinnov D-Mon, JBL 708P, 705P & JBL 3635 (Atmos HE 7.1.4)
Old 04-04-2001, 05:34 AM

Bokir-
The reason your summer home will be so inexpensive is because it will still be noisy and have ugly artifacts. I use DINR along with EQ and Expansion, and usually get acceptable results. The key word being acceptable, not amazing or fantastic. A recent review in Studio Sound was very favorable.
Check it out: http://www.studio-sound.com/archive/jan01/r_cedar.html

I do a lot of dialogue editing and predubbing, and would love to try one out.
-p
Old 04-04-2001, 10:27 AM

OK a very small "fixeruper"summer house in a bad neighborhood with noisy neighbors. I was thinking of the older more expensive units...with those you could get a nice summerhouse.....but this is silly.

Both DINR and Ionizer can produce very good to almost incredable results - on the right files with the right problems. I have had some VERY good results ..but that is not the norm. Usualy you can get some improvement with out any noticeable artifacts. You can also get good to incredable results from the Behringer "DeNoiser" - its a outboard box . There is also a program on the PC called DART that works quite well also. None of the above are effective with out a fair amount of tweaking and its always a compromise. I havent used any of the CEDAR boxes personaly, I did have some stuff run through one of the expensive models and was very disapointed with the results...but that doesn't realy mean anything because I wasn't there and I don't know if it was my files, the operator or the box. I have heard great things about the CEDAR stuff from people I respect though so I suspect it will be beter than the above mentioned solutions. I have found no miricals for removing gunk - however the "vinyl" plugin is great for adding gunk.
SK
Old 04-04-2001, 05:55 PM

I have used the new Cedar box and gotten great results very quickly. It really leaves the DINR standing in the dust. There are essentially no artifacts, though it is easy to overprocess the audio. I would choose the Cedar box of DINR in a second if I had the money.

Dave P

PS. I have never gotten good results with DINR without tweaking forever.