Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2008, 08:54 AM

Default waveforms don\'t match the audio!

Hi friends,

I did a search and couldn't find anything on this so here it goes...

A friend of mine has been having an issue with waveforms not lining up with what is actually recorded - as in, what you see is not what you get! If he then consolidates the region or processes it with an Audiosuite plugin the waveforms are corrected. I updated his software to LE 7.4cs3 and went through all the recommended troubleshooting steps (trashing prefs, etc) but it didn't resolve it. Not sure if this applies directly to the problem, but "recompute invalid overviews" is selected in his preferences...

He's running PTLE 7.4cs3 on OSX 10.4.11 (PB G4 1.5gHz w/ 512MB ram) with a 002R and recording to an external FW400 HD (Lacie D2). He has "elastic audio" disabled - tracks are "sample" based, not "tick."

According to him (and the session) the problem doesn't happen consistently - some waveforms are correct while others aren't - for instance, when punching in on a vocal, sometimes the waveforms are accurate... other times they aren't. When I load his sessions onto my computer (PTHD 7.4cs2 on a G5) the waveforms are still incorrect. However, if I record into the faulty session, the waveforms are correct.

Is there something simple that we're overlooking?

Thanks for any thoughts you guys might have...
Old 05-13-2008, 08:58 AM

Default Re: waveforms don\'t match the audio!

Quote:
Is there something simple that we're overlooking?
No, it's just a bug, and has been documented in several threads already. You can use "recalculate waveform overviews" from the region bin dropdown menu in the meantime while we wait for a new PT update.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
No, it's just a bug, and has been documented in several threads already. You can use "recalculate waveform overviews" from the region bin dropdown menu in the meantime while we wait for a new PT update.
hahaha! i think the bug fix was when they added the "recalculate waveform overviews" to the regions dropdown way back in, lets see, PT version 5.0 i think it was. may have been 4. i can't remember.
it stems from the SDII days i think. SDII files stored their overview and a stack of other info on the HFS resource fork and digi have never been that good at updating old/bad/lazy code.

i'm also amazed you can run 7.4 on 512MB!
Old 05-13-2008, 09:10 PM

Same problem here. I tried the "re-calculate waveform overviews" with all tracks selected, and it only fixed one of them. Interesting... At least I have one I can use for reference when editing now. Thanks for the tip...Sure hope this fix doesn't take too long.