Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2006, 08:33 PM

Default Cedar Tools for noise reduction

Hi everyone,
I was just on Cedar's website and they now have a plugin for ProTools on a PC . I was wondering if anyone has tried it and what you thought of it. They are well known for providing excellent NR tools and it would be great to have an addition to Sonic NoNoise and X-Noise.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:07 PM

Default Re: Cedar Tools for noise reduction

> I was wondering if anyone has tried it and what you thought of it.<

I got a demo of the package a couple months ago. The Auto De-hiss was good, but I think I would still reach for No-Noise to reduce broadband noise in most cases. I'd like to use it on my own some more, but I'll call it even for now. I hardly ever use X-Noise for broadband noise reduction. Too many artifacts compared to No-Noise for me. Retouch was excellent, but it's a real restoration tool and takes a lot of manual tweaking and editing to do the work it does. Declip was the star of the show for me. Easy to use and absolutely amazing at restoring totally clipped dialog into usable shape. Clipping is a common problem in post production and Declip can really salvage some bad stuff. I use Macs for my Pro Tools systems, but I'm probably going to put together a Windows system so I can run Declip. The package is fairly pricey, but if you need to restore something that's irreplaceable, this package is worthy IMO.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:02 AM

Declip would be very useful to me. How did you get a demo? I don't see a downloadable version on their website. How did the demo work? ILOK or time trial?
Old 01-24-2006, 11:53 AM

The Demo was held at a local pro audio dealer, RSPE, here in LA. The staff from Cedar came in with their rig, including a full Cambridge system which they also showed.