Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2015, 06:38 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools & Digigrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall2Wall View Post
Are you saying with an HDX, you can hook up a DLS by just plugging in an ethernet cable and the DLS will show inside Pro Tools w/ Studiorack?

Or do you still have to do that setup where the DLS is inserted between the HDX card and the Digi I/O?

Also, if you get a session full of native waves plugins inserted as normal without studiorack, do they open within studiorack on the DLS enabled HDX?
With an HDX card you can use the DLS in what Wave calls I/O mode. In essence the DLS becomes a hardware insert in the HDX system. The downside is you only get as many instances of StudioRack (up to 64 mono) as you can afford to dedicate I/O to the DLS. Each HDX card has 64 channels of I/O. Some amount (16, 32, 48 or 64) has to be dedicated to the DLS.

Check out this page to read up on this. I have never personally run the system this way (no HDX card here). But here is all the info you need to see how it would work

http://www.digigrid.net/portfolio/dls/

It will fold a DSP version of StudioRack into Native when there is no DLS present. Unfortunately AAX or other instantiations of Waves plugins can't go back and forth to running on the DLS. Only StudioRack can run there.
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html

Last edited by propower; 08-25-2015 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:53 PM

Truly appreciate your efforts. Thanks
Old 08-25-2015, 08:50 PM

I'm on Win10 Pro 64bit with PT12 64bit and the Waves DigiGrid IOS, I LOVE IT!
The I/Os are the best I've ever used, It's also my Midi interface and a 2-ch headphone amp, I plan to pick-up a DigiGrid IOX soon to expand my I/O.
A VERY happy DigiGrid IOS owner!

George Ware
Old 08-26-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Are you saying with an HDX, you can hook up a DLS by just plugging in an ethernet cable and the DLS will show inside Pro Tools w/ Studiorack?

Or do you still have to do that setup where the DLS is inserted between the HDX card and the Digi I/O?
The DLS, in I/O Mode, with an HDX card functions "like" a hardware insert.

A single DLS connects to the HDX Card with a DigiLink Cable/Converter, and if you have multiple DLS's they loop between the HDX and an I/O using DigiLink Cables/Converters. The clock runs in Loop Sync Mode.

On a track, the user selects an I/O point from the Insert I/O page, just link a hardware insert, the user then instantiates an AAX-DSP StudioRack plug-in and assigns the same I/O point within the StudioRack.

This is how I have my system setup and it just works.

Jay
Old 08-27-2015, 07:37 AM

I get it. That's so convoluted for most. Waves should make a simple Plugin power server that's as simple as a uad-2 in installation/operation for those that do not need to track with Waves plugins. No emotion, no studiorack, no wordclock hookup, no hardware inserts, etc.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
I get it. That's so convoluted for most. Waves should make a simple Plugin power server that's as simple as a uad-2 in installation/operation for those that do not need to track with Waves plugins. No emotion, no studiorack, no wordclock hookup, no hardware inserts, etc.
Understood . IMO though - most HDX users (but obviously not all) have plenty of CPU power to just run Waves Native in this case.
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 08-27-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post
Understood . IMO though - most HDX users (but obviously not all) have plenty of CPU power to just run Waves Native in this case.
True indeed. Even though there are more and more Pros working ITB off laptops since Thunderbolt hit to be portable ala Andrew Scheps.