Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Avid

Default Re: cpu overload -- ram?

Quote:
fwiw, I was seeing this issue a bunch with the new mac mini I picked up. I moved my FW drives over to USB (so that the 003 was the only fw device hooked up) and bumped my RTAS processors down to 1. Haven't had an error since doing this and it reproduced every time before.

Protools 8.0cs2, OS10.5.7, all plug-ins up to date, airport on or off didn't seem to matter. I tried bumping the rtas processor down to 1 with the FW drives still hooked up and that didn't seem to fix it...and with the FW drives moved to USB and only the 003 hooked up, setting the RTAS processors to 2 still shows the error. So maybe it's a combination of things causing this?
What plug-ins are you using, or do you have installed? You can use the Plug-In version generator in the General Troubleshooting thread to generate and post a plug-in list.

How do you have everything connected? Which of the General Troubleshooting steps have you tried?
Old 06-04-2009, 10:39 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR3 View Post
I get these same error messages it usually happens when I'm using midi, but its also happened a few times when I wasn't using midi..... sigh.. Ive trouble shooted with no luck.. its sooo annoying. I bought all this digi recommended gear to replace Mackie Tracktion 2 and an old computer that had no problems at all.... oh well

Total songs written in mackie tracktion 12
Total songs written in pro tools ZERO

I QUIT
What are the error numbers in the messages you're getting?

When you say it happens when you're 'using MIDI' - can you be more specific?

Which of the General Troubleshooting steps have you tried? Which plug-ins are you using and do you have installed (use the Generator indicated above to generate and post a list)?

How do you have everything connected?

I know this can work, as I have virtually the same machine and use it with relatively large sessions (30-60 tracks, plug-ins, etc) on a daily basis. It *is* critical that you follow the setup and configuration info from the General Troubleshooting thread, though!
Old 06-05-2009, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt:

What are the error numbers in the messages you're getting?

When you say it happens when you're 'using MIDI' - can you be more specific?

Which of the General Troubleshooting steps have you tried? Which plug-ins are you using and do you have installed (use the Generator indicated above to generate and post a list)?

How do you have everything connected?

I know this can work, as I have virtually the same machine and use it with relatively large sessions (30-60 tracks, plug-ins, etc) on a daily basis. It *is* critical that you follow the setup and configuration info from the General Troubleshooting thread, though!

The error #s are 9128 and 6101

Ive followed all of the setup and configuration info from the General Troubleshooting thread. Even double checked it.
Repaired permissions also.

All of my gear is qualified.. I did lots of research before purchase.

My setup is:
Macbook plugged in to a surge protector..Firewire out to my OWC external drive With the oxford chipset (also plugged into the surge protector) - from there it goes to the Mbox 2 pro. Ive got an M audio oxygen midi keyboard plugged into 1 of the usb outs. Thats it basic and simple. PT8 is installed on my macbook and record and play back to the external drive.

The only Pluggins that I am using came with the pro tools version 8 disc as well as melodyne. I havent got any other 3rd party rtas pluggins.

the last time the 9128 error occurred, I had 2 audio tracks recorded at 24 bit 44.1 khz . It was a guitar and vocal tracks about 1 minute each. I then added an instrument track and added xpand 2 I started playing with the midi a bit while the audio was playing. the midi cut out and I got the error message. then PT crashed....... ??????????
Old 06-08-2009, 09:31 AM
Avid

Quote:
Firewire out to my OWC external drive With the oxford chipset (also plugged into the surge protector) - from there it goes to the Mbox 2 pro.
Is that FW400 or FW800 from the computer to the drive? What about from the drive to the Mbox 2 Pro?

Can you please use the plug-in generator to post a list of installed plug-ins?

Also, have you verified that firewire networking is disabled? What about Airport/Bluetooth, etc?
Old 06-10-2009, 04:03 PM

I know I'm not suing Firewire or any other features listed here, but the 'cracking' sound is obnoxious. I came home with a widescreen LCD and hooked it up, and oddly enough, now Pro Tools can't go 8 bars without cracking for 24 after the fact.

It's really wild... I have spent more time trying to get Pro Tools to work with me than I have been able to do work.

-Made sure CS3 update was installed
-Changed to 1 processor usage
-Removed ALL plugins aside from the rewire plugin(s)
-Re-Installed KeyStudio49i Drivers
-Adjusted all buffer settings from minimum to maximum and back again

Static all over... only 3 tracks being used as VI Rewire with Reason. 2% CPU usage. Static/Crackles. It's the worst when something on screen has to update (page turn).

It's just disgusting. Last night it was actually working. Now, a new 23" monitor (swapped the old one), and it crackles.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post

Can you please use the plug-in generator to post a list of installed plug-ins?
I still can't find this. For Mac? Can anyone point me to this please?

--------------------------------------------------

Why do people keep running over a string a dozen times with their vacuum cleaner, then reach down, pick it up, examine it, then put it down to give the vacuum one more chance?
Old 06-14-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
What plug-ins are you using, or do you have installed? You can use the Plug-In version generator in the General Troubleshooting thread to generate and post a plug-in list.

How do you have everything connected? Which of the General Troubleshooting steps have you tried?
Just a quick update. It was specifically the IK Multimedia CSR and Ampeg SVX plug ins causing all my grief. I can now run with 2 rtas processors just fine.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:47 PM

How about the latest 8.0cs3 update? I just installed it but have not time to test it more than 5 minutes. Seemed to be more stable though...
Old 06-17-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by facher83 View Post
Static all over... only 3 tracks being used as VI Rewire with Reason. 2% CPU usage. Static/Crackles. It's the worst when something on screen has to update (page turn).
I have similar problems and I think that perhaps we are on the track of something.

My 1st thoughts were that it could be something which is graphics related (due some code has been rewritten in PT 8 AFAIK)

I would suggest to try the following for further testing:

- close the edit and mix window and see how many tracks can be run with or without plug ins

- move the windows to the screen border to see how this effects the error message behaviour

- try less colors in monitor setting like in the old PT4 and PT 5 days...

Hey, digi - coud it be that the problems are graphics engine related ?
Old 06-18-2009, 07:47 AM

This thread needs to be on page one.
I have spent more time trying to get Pro Tools to work with me than I have been able to do work.

I agree I go home from work and basically try to make PT8 to work. Every answer I get from the third party companies is, it works on my system.

car compnies would have a recall, software companies post updates...maybe

This one is mindboggling. To have to know how to run PT8 without it crashing, taken from their own tech support, is equivalent to nothing I have ever owned before. I am making music not launching the space shuttle. maybe Logic is the answer