Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2007, 02:14 PM

Default Pro Tools 6.4/ tdm mix eratic behaior ~ Please help

Hey now.
I recently upgraded mysystem from PT5.1/win2000 to PT6.4/winxp. I have a 2.4GHZp4 with 1GB ram, 2 adaptec 39160 SCSI cards, a single mix core card and a 1622 i/o. My system is experiencing a variety of problems. The system hangs when changing settings requiring a hard reboot. When I hit play it works fine the first couple of times after loading a session, but takes longer to start each time. The transport switches to play, but it can take up to 5 minutes to actually start playing. The cpu usage meter never tops about 65% and the disk usage barely even registers. Also mute buttons start to blink on and off rapidly with no mute automation breakpoints, and some faders seem to bounce around on screen for no aparent reason. A reboot fixes all issues temporarily, but they reappear shortly after reloading and starting to edit the system. None of these issues were apparent before upgrading.
One other thing is that my system usage window shows one dsp chip unused, but when i try and insert any tdm plugin i get an error saying that the plugin could not be activated because not enough available dsp.
I would apreciate any help, as clients are waiting and these issues are slowing me down drastically.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 6.4/ tdm mix eratic behaior ~ Please help

Don't know if I can be of any help.. but this sounds like Windows... or like the buffer is too low? 128?
Are you using Windows XP PRO? with SP2? If you're using SP2 uninstall it, many have been having trouble running Mix systems with SP2. "how to uninstall SP2" http://support.microsoft.com/KB/875350

I'm running Mix plus system with NO trouble at all using Windows XP Professional SP1 - 3.2Ghz/p4 - 2GB RAM.

Also change Memory usage and Processor scheduing - for better performance using P.T and plugins, if you haven't done that already.

start>control panel>system>advance>performance>settings>advance>
change "programs" to "background service" and "system cache"

Hope this helps
Old 12-18-2007, 06:25 PM

Same here ROCK solid, the best money I've ever spent!
Win XP Pro SP1 on P4 1.7Ghz
6.4.1CS4 TDM Mix++

George Ware
Old 12-27-2007, 05:03 AM

What version of PT are you running ? Do you have the most recent CS release of 6.4.1 ?