Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2008, 06:21 AM

Default Structure LE database problem

My database is empty. It does get filled as I add sounds one, by one, but after reinstalling it few time, it just doesn;t scan for the sounds.
I did all the steps of re-installing, making content folder read/write permisson and finally looking at the pref file (.plst) there was no string:
scandirs
_scanneddir

I also throw the prefs few times, but after starting the structure (1.0.2, I am on Leopard) new file is written, but no scan strings in it. I can load all sounds from patch pop-up window, so Structure KNOWS where the sounds are (on the separate internal disk) only the database doesn't function properly.

Anybody has helping thougts?

My system: MacPro 2x2.8, 10.5.5, PT 7.4.2cs2 and rest of the plug ins are fully compatible

thanx
Old 11-21-2008, 07:15 AM
Avid

Default Re: Structure LE database problem

These may help:

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...0&itemid=34993

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...0&itemid=33692
Old 11-21-2008, 07:43 AM

Thanx Digi, but I went thru all of this few times, please read my post.
What I don't really understand is the preference file, why there is no scan strings? Is there anotherway to force database to be rebuild? Some hidden keycommands or terminal comms?
Old 03-11-2009, 09:09 AM
Avid

This may also be helpful:

Workaround for MAC when the Structure database is empty or the database file was deleted or corrupted

To restore the database the content has to be scanned again. This process is usually triggered by installing new content.

To avoid this, and in order to prevent a hangup while scanning new content after reinstallation, one of the following methods should be used.

First, note the following:

The main structure preference is located in home/library/preferences/com.digidesign.structure.plist

While installing Structure content, the path where the content is located gets written into the structure.plist in the entry: scandirs

After instantiating Structure and scanning the content for the first time another entry gets added to the structure.plist: _scanneddirs

Method a) In case that the user has a plist editor installed, he can delete the _scanneddirs entry manually. (There are freeware tools to edit the plist like “Pref Setter”)

- Double-click to open your Structure plist file: /home/library/com.digidesign.Structure.plist

- Delete the _scanneddirs entry.

- Make sure the scandirs entry is linked to the correct content location.
Default: /Applications/Digidesign/Structure

- Close the plist and don't forget to save.

- Delete the database file: /Library/Application Support/Digidesign/Air/content/air.db

Now the Database should be restored the next time you instantiate Structure.

Method b) If a plist editor is not installed, the user can just copy and paste the following command line into the terminal to delete the _scanneddirs entry:

defaults delete "/Users/$USER/Library/Preferences/com.digidesign.Structure" "_scanneddirs"

The workaround for XP and Vista

Delete the AIR Database File

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Digidesign\DAE\AIR\Content

In the registry delete the _scanneddirs key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Digidesign\Structure\ _scanneddirs

Enter the correct content path in the scandirs key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Digidesign\Structure\ scandirs
Old 03-11-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedd View Post
My database is empty. It does get filled as I add sounds one, by one, but after reinstalling it few time, it just doesn;t scan for the sounds.
I did all the steps of re-installing, making content folder read/write permisson and finally looking at the pref file (.plst) there was no string:
scandirs
_scanneddir

I also throw the prefs few times, but after starting the structure (1.0.2, I am on Leopard) new file is written, but no scan strings in it. I can load all sounds from patch pop-up window, so Structure KNOWS where the sounds are (on the separate internal disk) only the database doesn't function properly.

Anybody has helping thougts?

My system: MacPro 2x2.8, 10.5.5, PT 7.4.2cs2 and rest of the plug ins are fully compatible

thanx
Exact same set of circumstances here... Changed Read/Write permissions, no scandirs or scanneddir entries, no way I can seem to trigger a database scan.. content that is browsed to does get added...
Old 03-11-2009, 08:50 PM

same happening here too - both on an LE system (home) and HD system (work) - tried the solutions posted here (well, from original posts from search & knowledge base) with no database being rebuilt. missing the 'scandir' in the pref file too... what are we missing here guys??
Old 03-11-2009, 10:55 PM

OK - did yet another uninstall and install per knowledge base - and info above. Updated Structure to 1.0.2. and dragged over Structure encrypted samples (Samples DVD 1, DVD2, etc). Launched Pro Tools and instantiated Structure - after that I looked at preference file in user/Library/Preferences/com.digidesign.Structure.plist and opened it with PREF SETTER. Noticed the pref line item "scandirs" entry existed and started to think i was getting somewhere... so i quit PREF SETTER. I think Pro Tools was still active, but not quite sure if i closed the session with Structure active, or if it was still up. I Then quit PT and looked at the preference file again, and the "scandirs" line item was gone, but no "_scanneddirs" entry was available to delete...??? perplexed.

For the record I have Structure full, not LE - but don't think that they're that different in this case of database scanning...?
Old 03-17-2009, 01:28 PM

Hello,

Any chance of a fix for this Digi/Air as it's a pain dragging all the patches in one folder at a time just to create the database.

The whole database thing is broken (as is the content installer as you know) and NONE of the above 'fixes' work (and the plist entries do not exist)

Time for a long overdue update!

Thanks

evs
Old 03-19-2009, 07:53 AM

Default Re: Structure LE database problem-not anymore!?

Hi, it's me who started this post, so I have some interesting news:

When I published this, I had Structure LE. 2 monthes ago I moved on to HD and got Structure full version.
So few days ago, after seeing that this post still exist, I did re-installed Structure again, hoping it will work "normally", but it didn't. Same story as before. I went on trying it few times, as usual.
But, during installation of the first release version (1.0.5154) it looked for a moment like Pro Tools crashed:
"Restoring audio engine settings"... was displayed. After a minute or two I forced PT to quit. Did permission repair, restart and opened preference file. To my amaizment, it looked something like this:

"ImportSamples.path" = "/Volumes/SOUND_LIBRARIES/Applications/Digidesign/Structure/Structure";
"LoadDialog.path" = "/Volumes/SOUND_LIBRARIES/Applications/Digidesign/Structure/Structure";
"SaveDialog.path" = "/Volumes/SOUND_LIBRARIES/Applications/Digidesign/Structure/Structure";
scandirs = "/Volumes/SOUND_LIBRARIES/Applications/Digidesign/Structure/Structure";

So finally there was a scandirs string and it was right. That was a place where I put my content.
I saved this version of pref file, so if anyone wants to have it as a starting point it is here. Ofcourse, change the path.
After I checked pref file, I opened Pro Tools and the library was there, database was full and I could loed patches easy.

Then I went on to update Structure plug in to 1.0.2. After that I run Pro Tools (8 HD cs2) and I believe I inserted Structure on instr. track and got again that screen "Restoring audio engine settings"...
This time I let it run as long as it needed, it took about 7-8 minutes and then Pro Tools just got back to it's regular edit window. Structure was running fine, exept if I try to play it from Akai MPD24, suddenly it drops in level, but I'll explore this later. Important is that by opening and inspecting the pref. file it looked now normal with bunch of informations, strings...but scandir was still there.

I hope this will help others having the similar issue with this bug. I do ask AIR people to sort this plug in a.s.a.p. It has amaizing future within any Pro Tools system.

cheers, Nenad

P.S. I am not sure if the link is working, but it is on my idisk: public.me.com/nenads
Old 03-20-2009, 12:42 AM

OK, hope giving this much info & detail is OK on the forum, as this has finally worked for me too in Leopard. I've been trying many of the Answerbase tips noted, but only in this combination did it seem to work for me - hope it helps someone - here are the steps that I took:

1. Delete all of the structure items you can find as per Answerbase here http://digidesign.com/index.cfm?navi...&categoryid=34

2. Install Structure from DVD #1 in the factory DVD boxed set like this http://digidesign.com/index.cfm?navi...&categoryid=34

3. Repair Permissions with Disk Utility (do it again, and again if you see just one thing it fixes - I've seen this need to be repaired more than once to finally get the message that all permissions were 'okay'..)

4. Restart the Mac.

5. let's check the .plist at home/library/preferences/com.digidesign.structure.plist as per the same Answerbase article here http://digidesign.com/index.cfm?navi...&categoryid=34 - i think the FOUR prefs listed are as nedd notes in the previous post (I used "Pref Setter" to check). If you are returning to this step from 10, and do not see scandirs or _scanneddirs in the list of items, trash the .plist and re-name the backed-up file to com.digidesign.structure.plist (or if you've come back to this step more than once, maybe start over at step 1 - sorry..)

6. make a copy of this apparently correct .plist file with the 4 items as listed by nedd!!! you might need to return to step 5 if it goes badly in the next few steps... i let mine be the default copied filename of com.digidesign.Structure copy.plist thereby leaving the regularly named .plist to be used by Structure..

7. You've probably tried to install Structure a few times (like me) so let's remember to check for and delete the AIR database file at /Library/Application Support/Digidesign/Air/content/air.db as per the bottom of method A in Answerbase http://digidesign.com/index.cfm?navi...&categoryid=34 (if it's not there, maybe you haven't installed as many times as I have... ouch.)

8. Launch PT and instantiate Structure on a track.

9. Hopefully it will then scan for the content and you'll be on your way... you can now quit PT, download & install the update to Structure 1.0.2

10. If the Scan for content doesn't happen or if the database is empty when you look in the Structure tab "Database" start over at step 5.. If the scan goes on longer than you think it should you might need to force-quit PT - this got me stuck at step 5~10, so i started over at step 1. (i just waited 30 minutes on one attempt before i did the force quit and started over at step 1).

11. The .plist at home/library/preferences/com.digidesign.structure.plist should now have _scanneddirs, and the database is now happy.

Yikes. Good luck. Ouch. It finally worked for me on the HD system at work, and now the LE system here at home..... hope you get yours in line too! cheers!