Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2006, 11:38 AM

Default Having trouble exporting back to AVID

Hi all!

So I did a bounce to disk today with AVID compatability enforced and then at the AVID station we could not get it to import correctly. There was a master clip conflict and also said that not all the media was present. I am new to exporting to AVID so any advise would be great. There was the OMF/AAF box that popped up and I am pretty sure I did that correctly, then I simply sent the editor to the file and it did not like it.

Our work flow is basicaly, OMF from AVID to PTLE with DVToolKit. I work on it and send it back, but its the sending back that I am having trouble with. With the old Liquid system we would include a frame of tone for a visual sync, something I was never fond of but it worked I guess. My understanding is that we should be able to fly files around and get them into the timelines using meta data and timestamps. I am just having trouble figuring out what works best. Worst case scenario is that I just create a .wav and the editor "eye balls" it, I really don't want to do that.

What do you all think? I have used the search, but have not really found anything useful.

Thanks a lot!

Phil Gerke
Iris Media
Old 10-17-2006, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Having trouble exporting back to AVID

Are you making sure that you when you select your media format as "embedded"?. This is most certainly the easiest way, as it makes one tidy .omf that the editor can import. And if you still have problems and have to export .wavs or .aifs, you shouldn't have the editor just eyeball it. Trim your recorded in audio, in grid mode, to the first frame of the quicktime, which should be accurate as far as being the Avid sequences first frame, as long as your editor didn't set some funny I/O points when he exported it for you. I also put a 1-pop 15 frames before the sequence so I can go back and time align the audio due to the lack of delay compensation in LE systems. Mine usually ends up being about half a frame late. Then all they have to do is an audio only insert edit with the cursor on the first frame of his sequence in the Avid.

I just reread, don't bounce to disk. Record your mix in on a seperate stereo track, then File > Export Selected Tracks as OMF.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:05 PM

Bringing this old thread back to life.

Still having trouble with my workflow back to Avid. I get my audio no problem, but exporting to Avid byways of OMF is still tricky. Can I get a walkthrough from somebody? Starting with recording the mix onto a new track in PT all the way through the export track as OMF and especially how do I import the file correctly into Avid.

Any help is huge, I just can stand "eyeballing" the mixdown for our final product.

Thanks alot!

Phil
Old 11-29-2006, 03:41 PM

Why not have the picture editor put a sync pop in the Avid project @ head and tail that gets exported along with the OMF (and is in the video ref they give you too). You make sure those pops are in place in your project/mix in PT, and then do a simple import into the AVid of your bounced mix files. They line up the pops in your file to the pops in the project, and you should be good to go.

Philip Perkins CAS