Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2010, 01:13 PM

Default upgrading to 5.1 what do i need???

hi guys.. i know its a "how long is a piece of string" question but i wanted to throw it out there, any help appreciated.

I do post, mostly TV and Radio and want to upgrade to a surround system so i can start to learn the ropes. here's a basic breakdown of what i currently have.

HD3 Accel, 192. Sync, Mojo (non sdi) g5 pre intel,
Waves Diamond TDM and a rake of other plugs. (inc Durroughs stereo)
Command 8.
Mackie Big Knob.
Dyanaudio BM5As, NS10ms, Avantone Mix Cubes

I also have a heafty 5.1 home cinema setup in place but not hooked up to the rig, i just use it for watching `DVDs and for reference.

I would like to do the upgrade as cheaply as possible, ill pay for what i need, but im not gonna splash out thousands on bits i dont really need.
I will probably only be doing a couple of 5.1 jobs a year.

so do my brethren of digi ninjas.. What do i need?

Thanks in Advance.

Graham
Old 03-31-2010, 03:18 PM

Default Re: upgrading to 5.1 what do i need???

mmm. You're going to need some more monitoring of the BM5 variety, and a sub. Next will be a monitoring controller to control the 5.1 array and switch to your small mons. You'll need some dolby encoding plugins to make LtRts, be they the old Dolby surround tools, or the newer Neyrinck or Minnetonka ones. Some metering too, cheapest decent stuff is PPMulator. I don't trust PhaseScope or SurroundScope very much.
That should do you to start with!
Old 03-31-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiniteloop View Post
Some metering too, cheapest decent stuff is PPMulator. I don't trust PhaseScope or SurroundScope very much.
That should do you to start with!
Does it do LeQ(A) or dialnorm? Or do you this on your mix bus? Just wanted a little more info on PPMulator since the price is right and I have been blindly "trusting" phasescope LeQ(a) to plant dialogue and mix around that. Will check out a demo but perhaps you can shine some light on your uses of the meter?
Old 04-01-2010, 07:42 AM

PPMulator gives you plug-in PPM metering that conforms to the various PPM standards. It does not provide solutions for measuring loudness using one of the ATSC methods (Leq(A) or ITU 1770-1).

Digital Media Engineer
Discovery Communications
http://corporate.discovery.com/
Old 04-01-2010, 11:13 AM

Cheers so it it does not have a use mixing in north America? Id like some more accurate software metering for a low price. I realize thats a stretch but if PPMulator is 100 bucks for allegedly super accurate ballistic metering. Whats the option for folks in the america?
Old 04-01-2010, 12:08 PM

the authors of PPMulator are working on including LKFS, which will be a blessing. As for mixing in america, there are certain meter modes than come in very handy when mixing to -10. Check the demo out.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:18 PM

If you are looking for a really good LKFS meter that also has true peak meters, then check out the TC Electronic LM5D. I really like working with it.

Digital Media Engineer
Discovery Communications
Old 04-01-2010, 01:27 PM

thanks but isn't this TDM only?
Old 04-01-2010, 03:07 PM

It is, unlike the Dolby Media Meter. But the long term radar and short term loudness meter is a better way to mix than just a number like you get with the Media Meter. But again, it is only TDM; RTAS would be nice.

Digital Media Engineer
Discovery Communications
Old 04-01-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio_Vision View Post
It is, unlike the Dolby Media Meter. But the long term radar and short term loudness meter is a better way to mix than just a number like you get with the Media Meter. But again, it is only TDM; RTAS would be nice.
Hmm, well we are on LE with CPTK so this will not work for the workflow. I will keep looking. Not sure if PPMulator is the way to go. Demo is nice. It is cool if doing digibeta peak metering I guess for -10. Most of our stuff is internet or ac3 for dvd. Havent had to deal with HD layback yet. Is HDcam the same as digibeta -10 peak?