Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2005, 09:03 PM

Default Cell phone interference on 192 interface.....

I just upgrade my Mix plus to an HD Accel 3. I was running three apogee ad8000se's. I sold one and bought a 192. Now when some one has a cellphone call with in 20 feet of the 192 I hear it through the interface even before the cell phone rings and also when the phones are set to silent mode. It doesn't show up on any other pieces of gear and yes everything is balanced and star grounded and this noise was never present in the last 7 years of studio use. Anybody seen this or more acurately heard this?
thanks
[email protected]
NomadicWax.com
Old 05-19-2005, 09:36 PM

Default Re: Cell phone interference on 192 interface.....

I use three 192s daily and plop my motorola about two to three feet away from them on the regular with no incident. The reason I'm chiming in on this thread is due to I get the same behavior from a Tivoli Audio iPal speaker that I use as a consumer grade monitor speaker. The iPal sits at least three times further then the 192s from where I usually park my motorola v551. But with out fail about 300 to 500 milliseconds prior to the call ringing on the cell I get digital hash blaring through the speaker. That said, something is not quite right with your 192, I'd call digi and see what they have to say.

Good Luck
-m
Old 05-20-2005, 07:34 AM

Yes I know exactly what you mean. Thats why I had to post the "TURN OFF YOUR CELL PHONES" sign in the studio. Though, I don't notice it so much in the control room as the vocal booth. Now, I have all star quad, mega type cable, etc. But if clients have cell phones in the booth, I get a ton of goofy noises. Perhaps the mics pick it up? Anyone who can chime in, please do.
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
I'm either working, sick, or both.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:33 AM
Avid

In my experience, its the cell phone interfering with the speakers. Try turning off your 192's and hold the cell phone by some powered monitors and see if it still occurs. The same thing happens with headphones and regular phones too whenever a cell is nearby. I've only noticed it since I got a Nokia.

-Jordan
Old 05-20-2005, 08:59 AM

It's normal, and not unexpected behaviour... don't allow cell 'phones which are powered up to be close to your equipment. This shouldn't matter which cell 'phone brand you have.. they'll all do it.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 05-20-2005, 09:40 AM

I've had this problem in live instances also. It's not just the 192 interface that does it. Newer cell phones, one with sim chips, seem to be the culprit. Nextel phones seem to do it more than othes, but recently I switched to a phone with a sim chip and I need to turn it off during sessions. I normally have all my clients turn OFF their cell phones during their sessions, or ask them to take there calls outside the studio. So' in my experience, you need to blame the cell phone manufacturers. And just imagine what that cell phone is doing to your brain, if it messes up your audio like that....
Old 05-20-2005, 10:11 AM

Cell phones and switching power supplies are a bad combo.

My phone turned a CRT off one time, also I hear this kind of thing in powered speakers, home TVs

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 05-20-2005, 12:32 PM

This happens especially with Nextel cell phones. If your going analog in to your converters it's possible that the interferance will be recorded with your signal.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:20 PM

Although any cell phone can add interference, I've found Motorola (Nextel) the worst. I can pick them up on home stereo equipment!!! I would recommend (as above) NO CELL PHONES IN STUDIO!!
Old 05-20-2005, 04:36 PM

you guys are correct about the "No phones in the studio" deal. What happens with any wireless device of this sort is the EM pulse from the device will pick up certain carrier waves that interfere with electronics. With that said, be sure to keep laptops with wireless cards, routers...etc.. out of your studios. its sort of like the old thing where you get radio stations on your guitar amp.