Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2005, 04:42 PM

Default Will PT Tiger support require a Waves upgrade?

I recently got an email from Waves stating:

Quote:
At 1:33 PM -0400 4/21/05, Waves Newsletter wrote: Waves is ready for the upcoming release of Tiger, Apple's newest version of the OSX operating system. All Mac users will receive detailed instructions that will lead you through the process of updating your PACE InterLok protection systems. Stay tuned for further information!
I would imagine that getting up and running on Tiger with Waves plug-ins will require users to have their WUP current. Just checked, and my WUP ran out in January. I've got version 5, but I notice that their website states that iLok support requires WUP to be current, so I'm assuming that I won't be able to get running on Tiger with Waves unless I pay a fee. I clicked on the button and discovered that another year of WUP is going to cost me $800. Ouch.

Lee Blaske
Old 04-23-2005, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Will PT Tiger support require a Waves upgrade?

I hate Waves. Same here... $800. Per year. For all of 3 plugins that I use regularly.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:13 PM

Hi,

I have seen all the large Waves threads here but havent really followed them too much. But reading these two posts really shocked me. Can one of you clarify this:

I bought Waves Platinum Bundle last year, in May, for whatever the crazy price was. My Waves account says WUP ends 5/25/05. Are you telling me that in order for me to keep my Waves stuff updated, Im going to have to PAY something in the area of $800 for that?! Is there any way that I can check to see how much it will cost me renew WUP? But am I reading this right that after only a year Im going to have to pay again? Say it isnt so... What bundles to you guys have?

thanks
MT
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•
Old 04-23-2005, 09:19 PM

i have Platinum TDM and Restoration Native. Platinum is like 600 a year I think. Of course, I never upgrade unless I absolutely have to. I hate Waves.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:20 PM

I'm about ready to sell my Gold Bundle. All I really use is the Ren Compressor, Ren EQ, and the L1. Definitely not worth it for me to renew my WUP. So needless to say, I'm sticking with Panther for at least another year, unless I sell my Gold Bundle.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:28 AM

There is so much bad feeling around about the WUP, I'm amazed Waves havn't addressed this yet. In the old days, Waves ruled supreme but now there is a lot of competition from elsewhere. I believe Waves need to urgently review their upgrade policy in order to keep afloat with their plug ins in the long term. Maybe that's why they're getting into more harware.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:34 AM

Sorry Frosty
But you have to renew your WUP AND pay a $150 fee to Waves if you wants to sell it. Subtract that from the money you will get and you see that it´s CHEAPER to keep your Gold bundle.

I hate Waves also.

Cheers Wolfgang
Old 04-24-2005, 04:33 AM

You guys are all so negative...

The way I read the waves announcement, is that you will have to update your PACE drivers for Tiger. (we already knew this).

Waves using marketing speak, instead of saying ALL plugins using iLok need to upgrade PACE drivers, they simply spoke to their own customers, only.

Quote:
Waves is ready for the upcoming release of Tiger, Apple's newest version of the OSX operating system. All Mac users will receive detailed instructions that will lead you through the process of updating your PACE InterLok protection systems. Stay tuned for further information!
Old 04-24-2005, 05:17 AM

So we should assume that Waves is altering their greedy and overpriced upgrade policies from the past?
Old 04-24-2005, 06:06 AM

from what i have read of tiger all the software will have to be upgraded including your waves plugs..and to do that you will need a current wup..with my luck mine will run out approximately the same time protools is realdy to upgrade..seems to happen every time..i go the whole year with no upgrades or bug fixes to my waves plugs (vs5)and just when a major change comes i have to pay the 600.00 plus dollars so i can use the plugins i own with my system.