Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2005, 01:42 AM

Default Re: Will PT Tiger support require a Waves upgrade?

Quote:
Am i getting a tad cynical? - Ainslie
You mean compared to the cynical Waves business behaviour?
You don´t even come close!
Old 05-16-2005, 02:03 PM

Between new Mac OSX version flavours of the week, WUP and other software upgrade costs, RTAS virtual instrument hell and all the testing/reinstallations it takes to get a ProTools rig stable on OSX, I now spent a substantial amount my time problem solving and my software maintence costs have gone up ridicously. . . it seems like we have been led down a bad path.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:08 AM

"to say that Waves is "overpriced" is patently false."

I'd be more inclined to agree if the only cost was the sticker price. Once you add in the yearly "updates", they get to be incredibly expensive.

To repeat an earlier question...any recommendations for a non-waves replacement for L1/L2/L3? Preferably one that's available across multiple plugin formats?
Old 05-17-2005, 07:53 AM

Quote:
".any recommendations for a non-waves replacement for L1/L2/L3? Preferably one that's available across multiple plugin formats?
Manley SLAM. Available across all formats.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:32 PM

Quote:
".any recommendations for a non-waves replacement for L1/L2/L3? Preferably one that's available across multiple plugin formats?"

I get great results with the Tube-Tech SMC 2B Multi-Band Compressor, followed by the CraneSong HEDD, followed by the WAVES L2 hardware box. This combination are inserts on the Master Fader. As with the Manley noted above, works with all formats and no upgrades needed.

Hope this helps!
(970) 663-1650
InSight Sound Web Page
Old 05-18-2005, 06:12 AM

Quote:
By the way, just checked the Waves site. For me to renew my Platinum WUP coverage it's $848.08. To renew the restoration native bundle I have, $242.31. Totally ridiculous.

Initial bundle purchase price:... $450

Current What U Pay cost:....... $283

Percentage of initial bundle cost: 63%

I'm sure glad I didn't get sucked into the bundle-upgrade vortex...

Ray
Old 05-19-2005, 05:15 PM

Quote:
nitial bundle purchase price:... $450

Current What U Pay cost:....... $283

Percentage of initial bundle cost: 63%
How could the WUP on the Restoration Bundle be so expensive? Have you let it lapse? I bought the TDM version of Restoration Bundle at the beginning of '05 and therefore have automatic WUP for a year and haven't looked into the cost to maintain.

What's going to be added to the Restoration Bundle? Seems to me that the only thing to gain from WUP on that bundle is compatibility (Tiger? Pro Tools v7.0?). What plugs are they going to add? If you let WUP lapse, do you have to pay up for all of the lapsed time PLUS the coming year's WUP just to gain current compatibility? That could be some serious bucks and an even larger percentage of the purchase price than your example.

Anybody know the answer?

j mcd
Old 05-19-2005, 05:58 PM

Now that i think about it, my trusty hardware rarely needs a update or repair, and the cool factor of my Neve's, GML, Avalon, Manley, Focusrite, etc, etc, etc gear has never been more "up to date".

I'm gonna stick with whats working right now and not update to another shade of grey. I'm gonna stop the insane "need to update cycle"

If i want another color to paint with, i'll get one of those new focusrite liquid channels or a Manley piece.......Hardware is like your Momma......always there with lotsa love!

Its a shame that a company sells you something that locks you in to a service contract without a disclaimer upfront.
Yes they do post the WUP info, but they should put that info on the box BEFORE you buy the software.

But then again..........nobody's gonna make me update my system but me! Everyone pulls their own trigger.

P.S......it is good software, but i lived without it before.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:58 PM

Quote:
If you let WUP lapse, do you have to pay up for all of the lapsed time PLUS the coming year's WUP just to gain current compatibility? That could be some serious bucks and an even larger percentage of the purchase price than your example.

Anybody know the answer?

j mcd
Yes WUP is an annual fee, if you decide to renew after letting it lapse say 2 years you will have to pay for the past 2 years plus the renewal for the coming year to get current. Some serious $. So on something like a Diamond TDM bundle we are talking close to $2000 !!
Old 05-19-2005, 10:20 PM

I mean no disrespect here but, Waves is pulling a "bait and switch." I'm sure some smart capable legal mind can argue that upgrades are a necessity in this time and age where Apple is rolling out new OS versions every 12 to 18 months. I've yet to hear of one satisfied customer that purchased Waves or WUP for that matter.

ex-Waves_Platinum TDM user
-m

PS I've been using waves since the SD II days, I always shelled out the big bugs since it was the only pro product around... four PT systems and a couple of upgrades later I'm done, finished!