Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2004, 03:45 PM

Default Re: Replacement Options for Waves Plug-Ins...

Quote:
i've strayed away from vst/rtas powercore recently because sometimes i get a window which indicates PT has lost connectivity with firewire powercore (it did this with digital performer too - i've never used it natively). do you know of a way to avoid this? i almost sold the unit because of this issue. i didnt because when its working it is solid (and because of the chorus/delay). thanks for help.

cc1
As its the pci-version we currently have installed and because thats the one we have done most mixes on and testing with, I´ll hold back a bit on my advise in regard to the Firewire-version of Powercore...However it could be an issue with the firewire card in your machine or the way its hooked up and not the PC. I´ve seen this system running rock solid with PT and the trubble you had with both programs indicate that you should look in that direction..
We are getting a FirewirePC in next week so it will be tested in our rig and I´ll report back how it fares during mixing on our system.

Euro-Sound Studio
www.euro-sound.org
Old 07-22-2004, 04:26 PM

the powercore is not good on pc.... had two pc experts spend an entire evening trying to get it to work....

(worked after two minutes on my powerbook)

but is that not the case with all music software??
Old 07-22-2004, 07:30 PM

[/QUOTE]We are getting a FirewirePC in next week so it will be tested in our rig and I´ll report back how it fares during mixing on our system.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks -I'm interested to hear what happens. I can't give up a slot for the pci version so its firewire or nothing for me. Also, does it take too long for the signal to get from PT -to firewirePC -and back to PT?

cc1
Old 07-23-2004, 12:52 AM

I totally agree with the frustration with Waves thing too but I've never (yet) found a compressor that sounds and acts like RenComp which I still love, anyone beg to differ?
Old 07-26-2004, 08:25 AM

Quote:
I´ve seen this system running rock solid with PT and the trubble you had with both programs indicate that you should look in that direction..
We are getting a FirewirePC in next week so it will be tested in our rig and I´ll report back how it fares during mixing on our system.
I just found info on a TC TDM WORKS bundle (http://kellysmusic.biz/productinfo.asp?id=756109956). Includes TDM versions of Master X, Intonator TDM, Voice Strip, Chorus/Delay and EQSat. Have you considered this in lieu of powercore? -and decided to go with powercore anyway? Also, the TC website does not list the WORKS bundle -only TC Tools which includes Mega Reverb, Chorus/Delay and EQSat?

Tks,
-cc1
Old 07-29-2004, 08:04 PM

keeping it alive
Old 07-29-2004, 09:00 PM

Quote:
I totally agree with the frustration with Waves thing too but I've never (yet) found a compressor that sounds and acts like RenComp which I still love, anyone beg to differ?
I used to use the Ren Comp exclusively. Now I've been going back to the d3 for some. I also like the sound and use of the BF76 for some too. I find it warm and punchy. And it was free.

Has anyone any input on the Fairchild bundle?
But then again, I'm thinking more and more about outboard and just use what I have for plugs.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Impact blows away Rcomp
Old 07-30-2004, 01:49 PM

How about L2?
Old 07-31-2004, 09:41 PM

could anyone provide comparitive comments on channel strip's compressor vs. waves c1 (both running tdm)? Thanks for help.

-cc1