Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2010, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Anyone here have a Mojo with 8.0.3 that plays quicktimes flawlessly?

I don't really know the answer to that i'm afraid- it's certainly not taxing the machine at all. I believe the driver must be passing the video directly to the BM card, because the machine doesn't appear to be at all stressed about it. I can try to do some activity monitor stuff while PT's in action, I guess - but I think it's safe to say that if you have an octocore, you don't have any worries.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Anyone here have a Mojo with 8.0.3 that plays quicktimes flawlessly?

[QUOTE=infiniteloop; I can try to do some activity monitor stuff while PT's in action, .[/QUOTE]

That would be great especially in addition with high audio track count.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:47 PM

Thumbs up Re: Anyone here have a Mojo with 8.0.3 that plays quicktimes flawlessly?

We have a quad-core Mac Pro (late 2007?) with at least 8GB of RAM in it using OS X v10.5.8 and PT v8.0.3cs2, and I have yet to field a complaint from the user of this workstation about the Mojo SDI playback being unacceptable. We are using a combination of internal and firewire 400 drives for audio and video on this system.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:53 PM

I have a mac pro 8-core with 8gb ram, two ATI radeon cards and a blackmagie intensity HD card and have no problems whatsoever playing back any pro res or QT files from my panasonic HPX301 cameras shooting AVCintra 100 1920x1080i 25np. It goes to my monitor in HDMI and to my HDcam SR deck via 3gbs HD-SDI.

Is it any wonder that the mojo has problems with pro tools when it has only been recently that you could run AVID and PT on the same computer?

I use FCP for video and PT for audio and it all works wonderfully with four screens and the blackmagic for full HD playback when I need critical screening.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:06 PM

You 8 Core guys, what kind of movie offset do you run with the BM Intercity HD card?

Gary, how many audio tracks are we talking?

Daniel
Old 04-24-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Technician View Post
We have a quad-core Mac Pro (late 2007?) with at least 8GB of RAM in it using OS X v10.5.8 and PT v8.0.3cs2, and I have yet to field a complaint from the user of this workstation about the Mojo SDI playback being unacceptable. We are using a combination of internal and firewire 400 drives for audio and video on this system.
Avid video or QuickTime?

MKD Creative
Old 04-25-2010, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEM3387 View Post
You 8 Core guys, what kind of movie offset do you run with the BM Intercity HD card?

Gary, how many audio tracks are we talking?

Daniel
I am running around 20 offset and around 48 tracks into 8 outs, I mainly do TV post so not huge track counts but the BM card does the HD processing so the video will not be taxing my cores.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:52 AM

Thanks Gary,

Do you run the BG intensity, no?

I am lookin at 40+ tracks minimum, but I can easliy run 128 tracks on my MBP. So an Octacore should do it as a breeze especially if the BM card helps out.

What codes do you guys run? I prefer the looks of Progressive.

Thanks,

Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Nattrass View Post
I am running around 20 offset and around 48 tracks into 8 outs, I mainly do TV post so not huge track counts but the BM card does the HD processing so the video will not be taxing my cores.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:13 AM

I have the Blackmagic decklink HD extreme and run progressive all the time as most of my output is for viewing on LCD screens.

The HD extreme runs all the quicktime HD through hardware so it will not touch much of the mac cores leaving them for playing audio etc.

My masters are 1920x1080i 25np at around 100mbs from panasonic P2 cameras going native into FCP and back out as pro res HQ
Old 04-25-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Nattrass View Post
The HD extreme runs all the quicktime HD through hardware so it will not touch much of the mac cores leaving them for playing audio etc.
Sorry for my potentially naive question: Does the BM Intensity hardware do calculations or is it a extra port?

My question really is for more or less the same money should I get:

Either:

A Mac Pro 8 Core with Intensity

or

A Mac Pro Quad Core with HD extreme?

Audiowise I am OK with my Intel Dual Core 2.8 MBP so this is more of a HD picture question.

Thanks,

Daniel