Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2010, 03:30 AM

Default Re: Cedar DNS One RTAS Plug in

I've been noticing that a lot on Lost this season...you don't like to say too much on a public forum because there are usually "producer factors" at work, but it really has been very noticeable - it's very odd. It doesn't even sound like it's been DNSed, you can just hear fades at the top and end of every line when the bg has been noisy. What ever happened to fill?!
Old 04-23-2010, 06:14 AM

Quote:
All in all the WNS will work if the DX is being covered with music or something. Cedar does not need this kind of covering. It sounds natural all on its own.
I finally got a working demo.
Even with music covering the dialogue, DNS One is the clear winner.
WNS damages dialogue, DNS One leaves it intact. Dialogue now seems to just cut through like a knife.

I am definitely buying it tomorrow.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiniteloop View Post
I've been noticing that a lot on Lost this season...you don't like to say too much on a public forum because there are usually "producer factors" at work, but it really has been very noticeable - it's very odd. It doesn't even sound like it's been DNSed, you can just hear fades at the top and end of every line when the bg has been noisy. What ever happened to fill?!
In fairness lost has been like that for a few seasons now.
I would wager with so much broadband wave noise it's very hard to clean up.
ADR is prob out as well. I've also noticed some very muffled lav mic lines obviously concealed deep under clothes next to very crisp dial. Kind of offputting but I'm sure they are doing all they can. At the end of the day though joe punter never notices this kind of stuff
Old 04-23-2010, 09:59 AM

As far as lost is concerned, I know the dialog mixer Frank, and its a combination of almost un-useable production sound, because of the locations, and the location guy being not given any time or consideration. And the unwillingness of some of the actors to do ADR.

And I know he does all he can. Isotope, DNS, filtering, etc.

As far as fill goes, I guess there are 2 schools of thought. Some will fill up a scene with noisy crappy fill to not hear the bumps, some don't like to destroy the sonic palette of sounds, that get covered up by the fill.

Personally, I prefer not having a continuous noisy filled scene. I personally find that more offensive than a bit of pumping.

Living the dream.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad jitter View Post
I guess you mean multiband expander like C4 and Wavearts?
Yes exactly what I mean. Actually the term is a compander, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad jitter View Post

Don't know about DNS one, but I have DNS 2000 and it sure pumps if you push it too hard. But it's still the best I have, and I have almost them all.
Everything sounds bad if you push it too hard. I mean in reasonable use.
Best
Old 04-23-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post

As far as fill goes, I guess there are 2 schools of thought. Some will fill up a scene with noisy crappy fill to not hear the bumps, some don't like to destroy the sonic palette of sounds, that get covered up by the fill.

Personally, I prefer not having a continuous noisy filled scene. I personally find that more offensive than a bit of pumping.
I think smooth is always better. Pumping takes me out of it really fast.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:00 PM

There was one occasion where Jack and his son were outside what looked liked a really quiet location, the music academy (in "LA" on Oahu, of course) but still you could hear the fades around the dial with some really bad traffic. I know what it's like though with shows that have been going on a long time...the actors get positions of power like you wouldn't believe and can choose not to ADR, I suppose. Similar things happen on well-known wizard related productions in the UK where a prima-donna lead can do whatever they like :) I'm with brandon though, the lack of fill just makes it sound really obvious what's actuality and what's invention. I have no doubt that 95% of Joe Public doesn't notice a damn, or has their cable provider's optimod making a huge mess of it anyway, so those crickets are deafening until someone speaks. Only we care!
Old 05-24-2010, 07:10 AM

I had an opportunity to test both plugins (DNS and WNS) for two days and I'd like to share some examples with you. There are 2 sets of files, example 1 and example 2. I have included the original as well.
The static pitched tones were removed (some of them) with UNIQUELIZER, settings being copied from channel to channel. There's some dialog master buss compression and de-essing, equally applied to all files, including the originals.
The links are:
http://www.4shared.com/audio/NdhC_fRB/ex_1_A.html
http://www.4shared.com/audio/vhbxG05d/ex_1_B.html
http://www.4shared.com/audio/efKYqTWp/ex_1_orig.html
http://www.4shared.com/audio/hrXYJWGe/ex_2_A.html
http://www.4shared.com/audio/NUVkkSw-/ex_2_B.html
http://www.4shared.com/audio/fQPbPEeM/ex_2_orig.html

Thanks,
Branko
Old 05-26-2010, 01:21 PM

I have to admit I was expecting at least one or two comments. The idea behind this experiment was not to find out which one is better. After listening to both processors, I came to a conclusion that their behavior is very similar. I hope that these examples support my opinion.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:15 PM

just waiting for some time to listen, dude...i'm doing 12 hour days right now!