Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2009, 09:43 PM

Unhappy Complete Production Toolkit overpriced?

Is it just me or is this option very over priced for what you get?

The additional max tracks would be nice and being able to use the surround mixing but $2000 seems a bit high.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:25 AM

Default Re: Complete Production Toolkit overpriced?

I guess you're free to try using Logic to do the same thing for less money. For the record, I've tried it, and it amply demonstrates why the CPTk is worth the money.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:15 AM

Logic is a bad example as I haven't used it and only a brief period with Digital Performer however Sonar does come with most of the features included but still this option is very over priced compared to other options from Digidesign. We switched from using Sonar 4,5,6,7 to ProTools but missing many of the features that we had with ProTools. The main reason for switching was due to Vista and going to an OS X platform but also getting away from the MoTU based hardware.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:37 AM

I can't see how you think it's overpriced compared to other options from Digidesign...the track count and surround features are only otherwise available in Pro Tools HD at several thousand dollars more.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srslab View Post
Is it just me or is this option very over priced for what you get?

The additional max tracks would be nice and being able to use the surround mixing but $2000 seems a bit high.
I guess the price is designed so that PT LE with CPTK is about the same price as Nuendo.

SO for some people itīs overpriced for others itīs the same price as the main competitor and for yet others itīs cheap when compared to HD.

Itīs all a matter of perspective.

;-)

frank.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
I guess the price is designed so that PT LE with CPTK is about the same price as Nuendo.
Exactly!

RME Fireface 800 + Nuendo = DIGI 003R with PT + CPTK !!!
Old 03-31-2009, 09:06 AM

I looked at that software also. I "was" really happy with Windows XP and motu until the firewire went out twice in the 896HD and once in the 828mkII. The $79 per each fix was rather annoying considering the downtime not to mention I started to notice the recording quality problems that I had read in the reviews. This was one thing that really stood out in the 003 system is that the quality couldn't even compare but having unlimited tracks in Sonar and the built in surround sound it takes a bit to get adjusted to. $1495 would be ok, $995 would be better for the CPTK options I think but thats my opinion. I've looked at the MPT as it has the track expansion and several items I would like however the lack of surround (which is a want and not a need right now ;-) is what has me looking at the CPTK). I wish they would itemize the CPTK so you could buy the other features. It is a big savings over the individual items like Eleven LE, DINR LE but the only surround plugin I have found is Mix51 which is what I have been looking at also. I can get the MPT for $395 and Mix51 for $189 but there are useful plugins in that CPTK that I would rather not pass on only to want to get them later.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post

SO for some people itīs overpriced for others itīs the same price as the main competitor and for yet others itīs cheap when compared to HD.

Itīs all a matter of perspective.

;-)

frank.
hehe...wanting it all at a lower price is what everyone wants. I miss the Sonar with Waves plugins but that is definitely one thing about the ProTools over Sonar in that we don't need Waves any more which was an expensive set of plugins.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:12 PM

Do you really think Digi could stay in business writing and maintaining the very powerful Pro Tools application if you got CPTK features for free with the purchase of an mBox micro?

I, too, noticed that it is priced to match Nuendo, and I (among others) have been highly critical of Digidesign for purposely removing software features from PTLE w/CPTK that are in PTHD. Even so, it does most of what PTHD can do and it is worth the money. Also, there are upgrade paths from the cheaper toolkits.

Best,

Nathaniel Reichman
www.nathanielreichman.com

MacPro 2.8Ghz 8-core, 6GB RAM, 10.5.6, Pro Tools LE 8.0.0cs2 with Complete Production Toolkit, Digi 002R, Control|24, Blackmagic Intensity Pro, eSATA hotswap tower, Baby HUI, Soundminer 4, Waves Platinum 6, Audio Ease All-In, Melodyne, SoundToys, Izotope RX, GRM Tools, PSP, Retrospect...
Old 04-01-2009, 09:12 AM

I was referring to the 003 rack the mbox micro isn't exactly studio use hardware that one would expect any advanced features. MPT = Music Production Toolkit

I've been looking at Protools HD for some time but the cost difference of $24,000 versus $1200 is a fairly big difference. I say that # because I am interested in the 192 bit recordings that I had with Sonar and Motu hardware so the HD2 with 192 would be used w/ c24 of course

I mean to compare other vendors you can buy a Motu 896HD for $995 that has 8 xlr inputs @ 192bit. Then add Sonar 8 Producer for $499. The limitation is that this is a PC DAW although the hardware works with Mac. Digidesign isn't there as ProTools HD is the only option for 192bit unless you go with a m-audio interface with ProTools-M however the only card I found with 192bit has only 2 TRS which doesn't exactly work for a studio. Not many people use the 192 or have a need but some prefer the highest recording rates possible.