Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2008, 06:47 AM

Default Is it worth upgrading computer?

I am currently running my Pro Tools on a P4 3.20 w/ 4(not exactly) gb's. 32 bit Windows XP Pro. If I were to get a Quad Core 2.4 would I notice any signifigant improvement in performance?

I should say recording audio tracks with Pro Tools on my system is fine. I don't use that many. However when I use virtual instruments such as EWQLSO Gold Bundle my computer can crash. Forget about using plugins with the VI's.

I realize despite not being too technical that Windows 32 bit has certain ram limitations. However I've heard arguments that ram is the least of my worries that processer speed is the main problem. Any opinions?

It should also be noted money is an issue. 64 bit I think is still premature when I consider Pro Tools doesn't run it and my VI software has yet to upgrade and or become compatible with Windows.

I suppose the real question should I just wait and see? Anyone go from single core to quad?
Old 03-28-2008, 09:40 AM

Default Re: Is it worth upgrading computer?

I went from a single core to a Pentium D, which worked great, but a Core 2 Duo is even better. Here's the catch. If you change your motherboard, and it has a different chipset than what was present when Windows was installed, Windows will NOT start and you'll have to reload everything. And that's where it gets tricky...I'm guessing that your old motherboard uses a socket 478 processor, and the quad-cores (even the core 2 duos) are socket 775.
Found this out the hard way, by the way, but it was worth the performance increase to jump thru all the hoops to reload Windows. And I was able to put the Core 2 Duo where my Pentium D used to be, but had to get a new BIOS chip from ASUS. Easy swap after being shut down for two days.