Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2007, 09:12 PM

Default Furious!!! HELP WITH ADS FIREWIRE CARD for 003

I purchased the Digidesign recommended ADS firewire card. I ripped my whole studio apart and installed the card as the directions stated. my computer started wigging out. I turned it off and removed the card now my computer does not even power up at all. WTF! I am beside myself. I have a pci express board ASUS A8V-E SE AMD Athlon 64 bit 3800 socket 939 processor. I even asked 3 different stores if it is ok to use a pci type card with my motherboard and they said yes. The card fits perfectly and I seated it correctly. I even tried it in the other 2 open slots one of which had a D-LINK network card in it. Has anyone else had any issues like this and how does it get resolved. I really do not want to send this machine to the computer shop as I have a deadline to meet on a song. PLEASE HELP. THANKS

I notice that there is a light on near the pci slots on my motherboard but the computer does not power up at all. I checked all the connections on the computer after turning it off, unplugging the power cord and grounding myself and still nothing. Is my power supply fried, Motherboard fried? Should I have bought the siig card instead of the ADS?
Old 05-27-2007, 12:58 AM

Default Re: Furious!!! HELP WITH ADS FIREWIRE CARD for 003

If your whole system won't turn on, there's something terriby wrong hardware wise. It seems like it was just a coincedence this happened when you installed the firewire card. But then again, it could be a defective card. Anyways, unless you are proficient at troubleshooting PC's, you'd best get it over to someone who can help ASAP given your deadline.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 05-27-2007, 01:08 AM

First off....relax. It's up to you how you REACT to the situation. If you have a light on the motherboard, that is a good sign. Probably your power supply and motherboard are OK. You may have just caused a wire to come loose on the motherboard. Possibly the power on connector from the front of the case. Just putting a PCI card in your system very rarely damages anything. You are better off avoiding the PCI slot next to your video card.
Check all the connections closely. Go over it several times, sometimes when your uptight you can overlook the obvious.
Good luck, take a deep breath, I'm sure it is something simple.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:24 AM

This is very common, back in the days when I owned a few computer companies; we used to see this kind of thing a lot…

By pushing the card in you have pushed your motherboard down slightly and probably unseated your graphics card (or sometimes any other PCI card will do it…)

If possible support your motherboard from beneath while gently re-seating any cards on your motherboard, sometime taking the other cards all the way out & then putting them back in again is the only thing that will do the trick…

Cheers

N
Old 05-27-2007, 07:23 AM

I remember pressing the reset button a couple of times. Does this have anything to do with the problem? tHANKS FOR YOUR HELP. i AM GOING TO TRY EVERYTHING YOU SAID. i PUT THE FIREWIRE CARD IN THE LAST SLOT TO BEGIN WITH. i HAD A DLINK CARD NEXT TO THE VIDEO CARD AND THE 3RD SLOT WAS EMPTY.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:04 PM

Just got the computer back from the store. It was the power supply. The computer is only one year old and I only use it for music. I either have the worst luck or a weird coincidence or the card did something???? I even had my hood come undone on the freeway doing 70 mph and it smashed my windshield and messed up my car. What a freakin week. I have not installed the 003 and its software yet so I am not even sure if the firewire card works yet but my computer works so I am happy enough for now. Thanks for the help from everyone.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:09 AM

It wasn’t the card…

A bad PCI card would blow your motherboard, but not your power supply…

Very bizarre, but a coincidence never the less…

That’s a lot of bad luck…Do you even remember walking under a mirror?

Cheers

N
Old 05-29-2007, 06:07 PM

Now pro tools does not see any hardware. I called digi support. Now I have to go and buy another card and see if it is just a bad card. They said I may have messed up the 003? I did not have it plugged in when I first started up after installing the cfirewire card so I doubt it. I JUST WANT TO CREATE MUSIC ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!
Old 06-01-2007, 12:06 AM

It is definately not the firewire card. I bought a new one today and it says it is working fine in device manager but the pro tools hardware cannot be found box pops up every time. I tried all 3 firewire plugs on the card and the 2 different ones on the 003. I am very frustrated as I could bareley afford the 003 in the first place. WTF! iS THIS 003 doa? i NEVER HAD THE DAMN THING WORKING AND THE POWER SUPPLY AND MY COMPUTER WORKED GREAT BEFORE THIS 003? dOES THE 003 LIGHT UP IN 3 DIFFERENT STAGES? (Ooops caps lock?) and make a clicking sound 3 times before the mute button lights up?
Old 06-01-2007, 02:26 PM

Found out that even though I had 7.31 that I had to delte the old 7.1 and install the new one that comes with the 003. I was told By 2 reputable companies that I did not have to so there it is. 003 works fine as of now althought I need to check the connections for i/o. Can't wait to make music finally.