Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2004, 12:41 PM

Default Changing Speed on existing session

i just recorded a session for ADAT @ 48K into a protools session (session default 44K) and mastered the project and now the client says that the songs are too SLOW. What are my options to "speed things up"

HELP please

Power Book G4
ProTools 6.4
Old 11-28-2004, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Changing Speed on existing session

Use SoundHack to change the header sample rate in your final mixes to their real sample rate.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 11-28-2004, 12:46 PM

what is SoundHack??
Old 11-28-2004, 12:48 PM

are there any options under bounce to disk that could help???
Old 11-28-2004, 12:58 PM

Quote:
i just recorded a session for ADAT @ 48K into a protools session (session default 44K) and mastered the project and now the client says that the songs are too SLOW. What are my options to "speed things up"

HELP please

Power Book G4
ProTools 6.4
You have to use the time trimmer tool it changes the speed without messing with the pitch...GoodLuck!!
Old 11-28-2004, 01:28 PM

I'm assuming what happened is that the ADAT was at 48, but you recorded digitally into PT at 44.1. While you were recording, PT was running off the clock of the ADAT, so it was actually recording too fast. Once you lost the digital clock from the ADAT, PT automatically jumped back to it's session speed, 44.1. Therefore, the audio you just recorded started playing back slower AND at a lower pitch. So just time expanding it is not the answer- that will make it the proper length, but not the right pitch. So you could also pitch it up. I don't recommend doing either- your mixes will sound pretty awful after all the processing.

So what should you do? One way would be to open your sessions, and hook up the ADAT at 48 again. Running off the external clock will make PT run fast, or at the proper speed. However, as soon as you bounce and make a CD, you're back where you started. So you would have record your mixes to some other source (DAT machine, stand-alone CD burner), but you would have to record the mixes analog- as soon as you hook up digital, the slave machine will run fast as well.

SOOOO... Here's what I've done that has worked and requires no processing. Get your finished mastered mixes into a multi-mono format. I'm assuming you have them as 16/44.1 stereo-interleaved files, so let's make them 16/44.1 AIFF L and R. Create a new session, and make it AIFF format 16 bit, but at 48kHz. Next, import all your multi-mono mixes, but don't CONVERT the files, just ADD them. PT will even tell you, "you can add these files to your session, but they will play at the wrong speed." Also, if the files were still stereo interleaved, PT would force you to convert them, which isn't what we want. We need the files to play at the wrong speed. Once the files are inside your new session, you can export them as 16/44.1 stereo interleaved AIFF files, burn your CD, and make your client happy.

Oh, and you have to do all that on internal clock. Anytime you are looking at an external clock source, PT will run at that speed, regardless of what the default session rate is.