Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-21-2022, 05:26 AM

Default HDX issues moving from Mac Pro 6,1 to M1 MacBook Pro?

hey there,

any busy pros here successfully made the transition from a 6,1 Mac Pro to a 2021 M1 MacBook Pro?

I am currently mulling whether to try running my full rig from a laptop in clamshell mode - would be connecting a McDSP APB16, UAD Satellite Thunderbolt Octo, a Thunderbay 4 HD bay and an HDX card in an Avid Thunderbolt enclosure, via a CalDigit dock. Plus internet and a Trinnov connected via Ethernet.

Despite having given me good service, my 8-core trashcan is struggling a bit with larger sessions at higher sample rates, despite the increase in efficiency that the Hybrid Engine gave us last year.

Anyone made a similar transition and have any experiences to share? My other option is to buy my last ever Intel Mac in the form of a 16 core Mac Pro which I know will just work and should be supported for 4 years or so, but the temptation of getting nearly the same performance + mobility for half the price is strong!

Any thoughts?

very best,
Ewan

MacPro 6,1 8 core, 64gig, Pro Tools 2022.6, HDX via Avid Thunderbolt Chassis, Orion 32HD

Ewan Pearson
Production, Mixing, Remixing
www.ewanpearson.com