Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2009, 04:14 AM

Default CPTK Upgrade will surrender DV TK2

Just contacted Digi suport and asked the following:

"Hello,
I am owner of the DV TK2 License on my I Lock.
When I upgrade to CPTK will my DV TK2 License still work for Protools 7.4 or older?

I work in different Studios and have to be flexible to work with different Protools Versions. Mainly 7.4 and 8.

It would be a desaster to me if I had not access to timecode and 48 Channels under PT 7.4 after upgrading to PTs 8.

Hope this is not the case.

Kind Regards Tilman"

Digis answer:

"Hi Tilman,

Obviously upgrading from DV TK2 to CPTK will surrender your DV TK2 license, as you are paying a discounted price for the upgrade. If you want to use both Toolkits you need to purchase the CPTK as a full license not as an upgrade.

Regards,

"

Old 03-30-2009, 06:52 AM

Default Re: CPTK Upgrade will surrender DV TK2

yeah, well, it does make sense because if the DVTk2 licence wasn't surrendered, you could sell the iLok asset. Digi would have to be pretty stupid to allow that.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiniteloop View Post
yeah, well, it does make sense because if the DVTk2 licence wasn't surrendered, you could sell the iLok asset. Digi would have to be pretty stupid to allow that.
Another idea was a kind of backwards compatibilty with DVTK2, your CPTK license would also allow DVTK2 to run, no need for both licenses. They could release a version of OMF.bundle for 7.4 that licenses with CPTK on your iLok. It seems they don't see the need for more sales.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:11 PM

on the contrary...i'm sure they see the need for more sales .... of PT8. Why reverse-engineer the features into 7.4? big engineering effort to allow people to put off upgrading...wouldn't make sense to them.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:25 PM

I see the problem. But this just shows how bad this whole toolkit idea is.
I do not see my self spending another thousand and some what euros to get timecode under protools 8 and protools 7.4.

I would love to work with it from today on... but if something goes wrong I need to go back to a version I know it is working 100 % for me.
(latest 7.4)

I also find it very unpro that you can not have Protools 7 and 8 installed parallel on the same system.

So I stick to 7.4 until everyone has done the switch. Which is sad cause I liked the new look somehow.
Still know people who work with 7.3

Cheers Tilman
Old 03-30-2009, 09:38 PM

Wouldn't the DV TK 2 licence stay on the same iLok? Similar to the DV TK to DV TK 2 licence. This means the product isn't backwards compatible. Fair enough that the CPTK has to be 'paired' to the DV TK 2 licence, but stripping away a lower version's licence seems antiquated to me.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:23 AM

no, it doesn't stay on the iLok if an upgrade to CPTk is done. Obviously it does if a new CPTk is purchased. This is pretty basic stuff with software upgrading...who has ever allowed two instances of the same product to be used when software has been upgraded?