Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2024, 01:59 PM

Default Help: Anyone knows correct network settings for fixed IP for Artist Mix?

Hi, would anyone know the right settings in Mac System Prefs > Network for setting fixed IP address for Avid Artist Mix to work with EuControl and ProTools? I've read through many threads on this topic in this forum and tried various recommendations but my Avid Artist Mix is still dropping out of connection from my EuControl.

I've got my Artist mix connected straight into my Mac (my setup details list below) with an ethernet cable connected into a Gigabit Lan USB 3.0 adapter into the Mac's Thunderbolt port.

The issue that I'm having is that my Artist Mix shows up about 50% of the times (then I have to reboot to show up again), in the EuControl software list under 'All Surfaces' with status *available*. When I then click the Add button to add it to 'My Surfaces' list, it first shows up in that list for 2 seconds and then disappears and EuControl pops up a message saying: Network Error - and talks about different causes such as the unit is connected to another network, bad ethernet cables, or firmware problems.

Another EuControl pop up error message that comes up saying that there are connection issues with my Artist Mix and that I should turn off and on the and then drag into My Surfaces list.

I first tried the DHCP way but same issue here, and after reading many threads on this forum on this subject, it seems like one of the main fixes should be switching to a fixed (i.e. assigned) IP address.

I've read that I shouldn't have the exact same fixed IP address on my Mac and the Artist Mix device, so I used the following. The last number of the fixed IP address should not be the same, but in the same range. So would this work? Is the formatting correct considering the three digit format on the Artist Mix?

Mac
Fixed IP address: 10.0.0.1
Subnet mask: 255.255.0.0

Artist Mix
Fixed IP address: 010.000.000.020
Subnet mask: 255.255.0.0

In my Mac > System Prefs > Network I added a New Service and called it Artist Direct Connect, and it shows up with a green status saying connected, and when I switch off my Artist Mix, it says Not Connected (with red status), so it looks correct here, but I would just like to ask you all if all my settings here are correct. If you can see my screenshots here below, would this be correct?

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ffd35...r9hu3c5cs&dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/lygro...s5uhozrlc&dl=0

I've only changed fields 'Configure IPv4', 'IP address', and 'Subnet mask', but do I need to change any of the Router settings here (I don't use a router), or and of the 'DNS' or 'WINS' settings etc?

I've tried the following troubleshooting from forum advice:
  • I've switched on the access for EuControl and MC_Client in Accessibility in System Prefs
  • I've tried 3 different brand new ethernet cables
  • I've tried to power down laptop and artist mix between settings changes
  • I've tried reinstalling EuControl and removing user preferences
  • I've had the latest EuControl software (2023.11) installed
  • I've tried adding Artist Mix in Pro Tools > Peripherals but it doesn't show up when activating Eucon control surfaces

From what I understand, for the latest computers from last years (my MacBook Pro is 2021), I don't need an ethernet crossover cable, i.e. I can use a normal ethernet cable (correct?).

Would anyone know if I need to change any of the other settings in System Prefs > Network i.e. 'DNS' or 'WINS' etc?

Or would anyone have any other tips or advice?

Any tips or advice hugely appreciated!

My EuControl software is version:
EuCon version: 4.17.2.121

My setup is (as also listed in signature below):
  • Pro Tools Artist 2023
  • Apple MacBook Pro M1 2021
  • Ventura 13.4.1
  • 16 Gb RAM
  • Solid state internal HDD
  • Audient ID14 USB Audio interface
  • Avid Artist Mix controller
  • Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol 49 MIDI keyboard

Many thanks!

Pro Tools Artist 2023
Apple MacBook Pro M1 2021
Ventura 13.4.1
16 Gb RAM
Solid state internal HDD
Audient ID14 USB Audio interface
Avid Artist Mix controller
Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol 49 MIDI keyboard
Old 02-17-2024, 03:16 PM

Default Re: Help: Anyone knows correct network settings for fixed IP for Artist Mix?

What exact make/model LAN/Ethernet adapter are you using? What happens when you try the Artist series on the Macs built in Ethernet port (with other networking on that port disabled?).

If it works at all with the adapter then the Ethernet adapter supports auto MDI-X and you do not need a crossover cable. It’d it’s intermittent it might be a bad cable, connector, adapter of Artist, etc.

The addresses you are using should work but most folks would just use a smaller subnet, you don’t need 64k devices connected on that network. So say 10.0.0.10 and 10.0.0.11 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255. Here I have followed the good habit of configuring addresses to skip a number of low addresses since that is where routers/dhcp servers etc will default to, yes I know you do not have. For simplicity make sure other Ethernet ports are not on the same subnet. Make sure there are no network routes shown for this network.

edit: looking at your screenshots you have both interfaces on the Mac with the same IP address. Don't do that, they should not even be on the same subnet. (to avoid route confusion), which might be what is causing the problem here.

e.g. I would set one interface on the Mac to 10.0.0.10/255.255.255.0 and the other to 10.0.1.10/255.255.255.0

Lets us know if that helps. Bravo on such a clear post with info etc.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 02-17-2024 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-18-2024, 07:00 PM
Avid

Default Re: Help: Anyone knows correct network settings for fixed IP for Artist Mix?

Your best bet is to set the Mix and Mac to DHCP. Then buy a cheap network switch and put it in the middle. https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-8-Por...dp/B07PFYM5MZ/
Old 02-25-2024, 09:29 AM

Hi Darryl Ramm and EddieJones, thanks alot for your input on this! Really appreciate it!

I took some days to buy a new Belkin USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter since I noticed that one of the issues was the non branded cheap gigabit to ethernet adapter that I previously used, was not working properly when I tried to connect it to internet and switching off wifi.

I've got one step closer in my troubleshooting now since the new Belkin adapter is 100% working (plug and play).

Thanks for the recommendation EddieJones to try to DHCP way instead of static (assigned) IP address. I'm now plugging my Artist Mix with an ethernet cable directly into one of the ethernet ports on the router/modem where our ADSL internet comes into the house, and I also plugin my MacBook pro with the Belkin adapter with an ethernet cable to one of the other ethernet ports on the modem/router.

I have switched to DHCP on the Artist Mix and I can see that it has been assigned the DHCP IP address:

Screenshot
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ri0ty...ciqxp0usg&dl=0

and when I check the Belkin adapter in the network settings, I can see that it's green and Connected status, and it's set to DHCP with the IP address:

Screenshot
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/mecj3...y8mkufm3w&dl=0

so this seems to be good so far since the Artist Mix and my MacBook pro have IP addresses in the same range (but not the exact same IP address).

I then tried to uninstall my installation (version nr in my first post on this here) of EuControl and remove user preferences and the reinstall it and then power off and powered on both the Artist Mix and my MacBook Pro.

At start up when I was prompted to add EuControl and MC_Client to the Accessibility List of the Security & Privacy preferences, I did so:

Screenshot
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/1yw3c...mgr035x3v&dl=0

The same issue happened as before (with static IP) when I started this time, the Artist Mix appeared in the EuControl as *available* but when I tried to Add it to the list, it disappeared:

Screenshot
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/0x9vz...zm66wqqjw&dl=0

Before I buy the network switch that you recommended in your post EddieJones, shouldn't the method that I'm trying now work? Or is it any other settings in my Mac System Preferences > Network for the Belkin adapter that I have to change?:

Screenshot
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/gskqo...jenno94ql&dl=0

Could there be any issues with this current method when I plug in both the Artist Mix and MacBook Pro (throuhg the Belkin adapter) straight into the modem/router of the house? Could any of this be solved with your method of connecting your suggested network switch EddieJones into my house's modem/router, and then plugging both my Artist Mix and MacBook Pro into the switch?

Just to confirm, you suggest this connection, correct?:

House router/modem >to> Network switch >to> and this network switch connects to both Artist Mix and my MacBook Pro

Thanks again for your tips on this, hopefully I can get this sorted with your support!

Pro Tools Artist 2023
Ventura 13.4.1
16 Gb RAM
Solid state internal HDD
Old 02-25-2024, 02:43 PM

The Mac has only one physical Ethernet adapter right? The new Belkin USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter? And you have disabled WiFi entirely on the Mac? As pointed out before the Mac cannot have duplicate addresses on the same subnet which is likely to happen if you have WiFi enabled and addresses being handed out by a DHCP server in the router. What subnets masks are you using now?... you had very large subnets before.

Implementing DHCP changes where things are set, it does not change any of the need to set stuff correctly etc.

A switch operates at a much lower layer than any of this, it is unlikely to change whatever is wrong here... it can make things operate with better performance, glitch less etc, but I doubt that's the problem here vs. more likely some fundamental problem you are having with setting up the network. I would stop just changing stuff and get the most basic things running first.

If nothign else works I would disconnect the Mac from all other networks. Set a static IP address on it's Ethernet port, set a static IP address on the same subnet on Avid surface, e.g. use 255.255.255.0 netmasks and addresses within like 10.0.0.10 and 10.0.0.11. Make sure you can ping the surface from the Mac. Then bring up Eucon. Once you know that works you can complicate the network to do other stuff. If you have a WiFi connection, especially, on the same subnet you will have all sorts of routing problems. Do not try to solve them now, just simplify and prove stuff works.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 02-26-2024 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-26-2024, 01:01 PM
Avid

If you are connected like you say through the router then you don't need the switch. Can you post a picture of the Mac's network settings? All the adapters? Also remember when changing network settings you'll need to restart everything each time.
Old 03-03-2024, 10:46 AM

Hi Darryl and EddieJones,
Thanks for you input on this, I really appreciate it!
I've below put comments and screenshots on your comments.

First, EddieJones, I've switched off WiFi (and disconnected and quit my VPN service, if this could interfere in any way?):

Screenshot of network settings - all network connectors
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/kj5t9...kkvrgr46d&dl=0

Could any of the 'Not connected' services interfere with my Connected status Belkin?

Screenshot 2 of Belkin USB-C Lan ethernet adaptor settings

Screenshot 2 of Belkin USB-C Lan ethernet adaptor settings
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/mecj3...y8mkufm3w&dl=0

Since my modem/router is down one floor in the hallway, I'm thinking of getting the switch you linked to so I don't have to run 2 ethernet cables down the stairs (for the switch, it would just be one long ethernet cable). Would there be any more issues/complications if I set this up with a switch?
I'm first going to try and get this working without the switch, by setting up all my stuff in the hallway (which is the way I've been trying this so far).

Every time I changed any of the settings, I did restart and power off and on all the equipment.

And here are my comments for you Darryl.

Yes, my MacBook Pro M1 2021 doesn't have any default hardware ethernet connectors, it only has 3 Thunderbolt connectors, that's why I have to use the Belkin USB-C Lan adaptor, and this is my only hardware ethernet adaptor. Yes, I've disabled WiFi on my mac.

My subnet mask is: 255.255.255.0

Screenshot subnet mask

Sorry, could you pls explain, what do you mean by 'pinging the surface from the mac?'.

I'll try the DHCP way first since that seems to be the common/most trouble free way, but if I can't get that to work, then I'll go back to the static IP approach and try your tips on the addresses and subnet mask you provided.

Thanks alot for your help!

Pro Tools Artist 2023
Ventura 13.4.1
16 Gb RAM
Solid state internal HDD
Old 03-03-2024, 11:22 AM
Avid

Images look good. The non connected ones will not interfere. A network switch to reduce the cable to one downstairs will be OK.

IP addresses are used to know where to send network data(packets) The same principal as postal addresses. And the same rule applies, once an adapter/piece of gear/tablet etc. has an address it will work for however long it has that address. So DHCP or Static only have any consequence on startup/connect and then no activity after. DHCP is safer as it rules out any misconfiguration. Static is slightly faster to connect and allows custom configs.

What issues are you still facing?
Old 03-03-2024, 12:07 PM

ping is the fairly universal utility that you use to check a connection over TCP/IP, in terminal on the Mac type

$ ping 192.168.1.xxx

(where xxx is whatever subnet address the surface is on, $ is the shell prompt, it *will* be different in your shell, you do not type that). To find out more about the ping command you type

$ man ping

or

$ ping -h

One simple/obvious test is to make sure you can ping the surface and then start up Eucon etc. and if that fails like before see if you can still ping the surface. If so the problem is not the physical connection or network setup and likely not the surface itself, it's more likely Eucon or something else in the Mac. And if you can't ping the surface then the problem is a networking one and likely not Eucon related. And by ping I mean the response times returned by ping are very low and there should be no dropped packets. If you did that you would make huge progress on knowing what type of problem you are facing. Maybe looking at Eucon logs etc should have helped but this should have been a 10 minute quick troubleshooting tests to split the problem space/decision tree in half. Instead it has dragged on for a crazy long time.

---

I am assuming you have the same Eucon connection/stop showing up problem as before or you would have said it works now?

If you are still having problems you should not be trying to set stuff up like you might normally, you should be troubleshooting. It's a moving mess of changes, it's unclear for example now what the IP address of the surface is. You could have just reduced this all to a simple known state with static IP addresses and a short trusted cable.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 03-03-2024 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-03-2024, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
DHCP is safer as it rules out any misconfiguration. Static is slightly faster to connect and allows custom configs.
Oh please. Using DHCP might be a good recommendation for most users but DHCP does not "rule out any misconfiguration". It might reduce some types of misconfigurations, and it can introduce others.

The DHCP server can be misconfigured, you can have other devices on the network with conflicting IP addressees that the DHCP server may blindly hand out. There might unintentionally be multiple DHCP servers. The DHCP server can suffer errors/failures. etc. There is a whole class of Pro Tools bouncing in the doc startup problems caused by Macs blindly using ******** route information handed out by router DHCP.

---

Oh I've disagreed with Eddie, I feel so horrible :-(

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 03-03-2024 at 12:43 PM.