How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2022, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2022.4 Release Notes

Quote:
As I understand it, existing owners of Ultimate licenses will not benefit of the "extra" bundle included in the new ProTools Flex, which will make ProTools Ultimate equivalent to ProTools Studio feature wise. Am I correct?
I don't think so because Pro Tools Studio doesn't work with HD Native or HDX AFAIK.
Anyway I'm sure it will become clear in the fullness of time.
Old 04-26-2022, 11:37 AM

A bit disappointing that there is no Apple M1 native. Is that due in a future update?

Will ARA ever be a feature too?
Old 04-26-2022, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbourque View Post
As I understand it, existing owners of Ultimate licenses will not benefit of the "extra" bundle included in the new ProTools Flex, which will make ProTools Ultimate equivalent to ProTools Studio feature wise. Am I correct?
Exactement. Hence my "Penultimate" joke.
Old 04-26-2022, 11:39 AM

Here's a question

If 2022.4 was useable software on my system, I could get all of the features I need from it with your mid-tier subscription (Pro Tools Studio). Dolby Atmos, 64 i/o, high voice count. However, 10 minutes in it's quite apparent that it isn't useable. I'll be rolling back to 2021.3.1, which is the last stable version on my system.

Can you clarify how your new subscription model will impact a user like me, who needs to roll back to an older version for stability reasons? On your "Pro Tools Studio" subscription, will I get 64 hardware IO and Dolby Atmos on PT 2021.3.1 ? And for that matter, would I also benefit from the 256 hardware IO if I were to keep a flex subscription and use 2021.3.1 ? Or do the added features only unlock with the most recent version of pro tools (2022.4)?

Ironically, 2022.4 is "officially" supported on my system and 2021.3.1 isn't. Quite frustrating that I need to use an unsupported, year-plus old version to get things done. Subscription renewal is coming up in a couple months and this might be the year I finally jump ship and learn a new DAW.
Old 04-26-2022, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
PT Expert seems to be suggesting that we now have to pay $999.00 a year for the same software we used to pay $399.00 for? Ultimate to Flex.
Surely this can't be true?
It's not true.
Quote:
Phew I managed to find this statement on the PT Expert site.

Pro Tools Ultimate user with perpetual licence and current support plan - You will be automatically migrated to the current version of Pro Tools Ultimate the cost is unchanged at $399.

This is weird though because Pro Tools Ultimate no longer exists as a product.
How does this relate to PT Flex which is the version I need for HD?

Has anybody at Avid thought this through at all??
Avid is no longer selling Pro Tools Ultimate Perpetual, but resellers still have stock and existing perpetual license owners can continue to renew their Software Updates + Support Plans.

avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/faq/Pro-Tools-Tiers should answer other questions (or we should update it to do so!).
Old 04-26-2022, 11:40 AM

Wow. As of now, Avid.com is down.
https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/...to=https&www=1

Almost on a par with UA's recent disastrous server failure when they released UADx. It went on for a week or more.
Why can't companies plan for the server load that they know for a fact their paying customers need when an update is announced ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg It's not just you! avid.com is down.jpg (10.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-26-2022, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
So nervous about this update since it requires updating Firmware, etc. I have already done it once and restarted my computer and it is asking to update again. I did so and I restarted again and I keep getting the message that my Firmware needs to update.

UPDATE: Duh! I realized I was using restart instead of shut down and letting it sit for the 5 seconds. Once I shut down and let the computer sit and then boot up, everything was great.
Good to hear, thank you for following up with status!
Old 04-26-2022, 11:43 AM

Quote:
I don't think so because Pro Tools Studio doesn't work with HD Native or HDX AFAIK.
Anyway I'm sure it will become clear in the fullness of time.
To me, there's no logic in paying more only to have the possibility to use Avid hardware. If the main exclusive features Ultimate had are now available for PT Studio, I'll like paying for nothing. At least, Avid should give access to the Flex bundle to the owners of perpetual license.

PT Ultimate 2022.10 on macOS 12.6.1
Old 04-26-2022, 11:44 AM

Gotta love Avid. They restructure the entire Pro Tools line and then avid.com goes down so you can’t get any info.

Couldn’t Elon have bought Avid instead?

I’m sure it would have been WAY cheaper.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 04-26-2022, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbourque View Post
No, there's still a lot of basic differences between Ultimate and what is now called Studio. Only 1 video track on studio, pretty sure all the Field Recorder stuff is still Ultimate-only, HD / HDX support - Avid.com is down at the moment though, so can't give a full list.

All that Flex stuff is - I think - just all the old Circle bells and whistles at the moment. Could be wrong... until the main site is back up, can't check anything.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM