Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2003, 02:43 PM

Default What Mastering plug-ins do you prefer?

Because the MasterX5 from TCWorks will not be converted to OSX/PT6, I will have to find another plug-in for mastering. I like Waves C4, which is fine for acoustic and ambient music, but with harder electronic and rock I want a more sexy mix. - What do you guys (and girl [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] use with ProTools TDM and OSX?

Pick your favorite mastering plug-in and tell us why it is:
Waves C4
TCWorks X3
SonyOxford Dynamics
Digidesign Maxim
MC2000

To make this discussion even more interesting: We are now beginning to create 5.1 mixes in ProTools. What do we do with the mastering then? If you have experience, please share it!

Helge K.
music gallery: http://mp3.com/helgekrabye

What looks large from a distance close up is never that big. (Bob Dylan)
Old 06-13-2003, 05:21 PM

Default Re: What Mastering plug-ins do you prefer?

OK - for stereo mastering, you gotta get the Waves Masters bundle. Three plugs, all winners. That sets you up for some pretty transparent work.

After that you might choose to add color to your projects and the choices are many and varied. The Sony Dynamics you mentioned is very good, and would suppliment the Masters bundle well by providing a good quality wideband compressor with lots of tricks plus a warmth processor.

It could be argued that you don't need the C4, Master X, MC2000 or Maxim because their work is covered better in the Masters bundle by Lin MB and L2, but every plug is obiously slightly different to one another, so you could always try the demos and see what you like best.
Old 06-13-2003, 05:51 PM

We prefer to use Waves Masters Bundle on our in-house mastering sessions. I'd like to send all our masters to a pro mastering house (like Masterhuset or Lydmuren here in Norway), but when budgets are thight....Waves Masters Bundle really helps.

Stein Tore
Old 06-13-2003, 08:13 PM

Default Post deleted by Digidesign

Old 06-14-2003, 05:01 AM

For EQ : Waves Linear or Sony Oxford (will check massenburg soon)

Multiband (if needed) C4, or Linear MB (for more corrective MB)

If a little color is needed, a little touch of Inflator is great. (With very moderat Effect and Curve Settings)

Limiter: L2

Daniel
www.ideeundklang.com
Old 06-15-2003, 03:05 AM

For general use the Waves Masters bundle is excellent. I went through a phase of not using it but have now been reconverted.

Two little musical puns in that sentance...who says we Brits arent funny? OK maybe not.

I have also found the Sony dynamics to be really really good. Other plug ins I find useful from time to time are DUY Tape, Shape, and very occasionally Wide. Analog Channel also from time to time.

Jack
Old 06-15-2003, 11:05 AM

Quote:
OK - for stereo mastering, you gotta get the Waves Masters bundle. Three plugs, all winners. That sets you up for some pretty transparent work.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">What are the Mastering plug-ins from Waves doing that C4 is not able to do? Since I own the Gold TDM Bundle and are thinking about upgrading it to the Platinum bundle, I am just curious.

Helge
Old 06-15-2003, 11:59 AM

The TC multiband stuff or Waves C4 never did it for me, seems to turn the mixes into "plastic" and TC totally ruins the presion in the lower mids near the Xover freq.

So for mastering I only use Filterbank and Waves L2...
Old 06-15-2003, 02:33 PM

What is the difference between the L1 and L2 (software version) and is there a sonic difference?
1 TB PCIe flash storage
Pro Tools Ultimate HD 2023.6
HD Native Thunderbolt
Old 06-15-2003, 04:11 PM

IMO there is a huge difference. the L1 is good for basic limiting operation, but when it comes to mastering, there is no substitute for the L2. the biggest difference is in the algorithm, but the L2 also had IDR dither and ARC (auto-release).

i have a friend that does professional mastering, and he just sold his L2 hardware in favor of the L2 software. reasons... the software was more flexible & stable and one less set of settings to write down. he also said that he felt the software was basically the same sonically, so why use the hardware.

lance