Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2002, 05:01 AM

Default Mixer in new HD system

Has the mixer been revamped or will the new system sound like the dithered mixer in the Mix systems???
Old 01-17-2002, 09:59 AM
Avid

Default Re: Mixer in new HD system

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Rythym Stick:
Has the mixer been revamped or will the new system sound like the dithered mixer in the Mix systems???<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. The dither mixer in ProTools HD now uses uncorrelated dither for all truncation stages, and has a few other minor tweaks. Mainly what this means to users is that when multiple dither sources (e.g. from busses) are mixed together the dither noise floor won't be as high. Summing two correlated dither sources results in a 6dB increase in noise floor, where as summing two uncorrelated dither sources results in a 3dB increase.
Old 01-17-2002, 10:41 AM

Chris,

Thanks for replying, it's so rare that we get to have a dialog about the PT mixer with you guys.

1. Do you think that the new mixer will (subjectively, of course...) sound better?
2. Will it answer the folks who say that mixing within Protools sounds inferior comparing to mixing the same PT tracks on a dedicated mixer?
3. Finally, will we benefit from ther new mixer using PT 5.3 on Mix farms?

Looking forward to your reply!

Izhar
Old 01-17-2002, 10:59 AM

Chris,

Thanks for replying, it's so rare that we get to have a dialog about the PT mixer with you guys.

1. Do you think that the new mixer will (subjectively, of course...) sound better?
2. Will it answer the folks who say that mixing within Protools sounds inferior comparing to mixing the same PT tracks on a dedicated mixer?

Looking forward to your reply!

Izhar
Old 01-17-2002, 11:34 AM
Avid

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by ashdot:
Chris,

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think so. I've been postly a lot lately. Check out the level setting thread if you dare.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Possibly, for certain large sessions with lots of busses and post fader sends, but remember we are talking about dither levels that are in the range of -140dB. Your converter noise floor is in the -110 to -120dB range, so it would need to be a very large session for the dither to add up to more than the converter noise floor. This was possible with the older dithered mixer, but I would say it is pratically impossible with the new mixer.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I can't speak for other people, cause I'm not sure what they'll think. In my opinion the older dithered mixer was also very good, and many users think it makes mixing in PT sound great. I guess we'll need to wait and see what they think of the new mixer and the system as a whole.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably, but I can't guarentee that.
Old 01-17-2002, 11:53 AM

Thanks Chris!

Izhar [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-18-2002, 12:08 AM

I want to second that ,

Thanks Chris!

He has been a busy amoung these pages and in particular one thread that is only just begining to slow down. That thread at times did get rather tough but he hung in there and many of us do appreciate it.